Comment Cell used in screen tip

Started by mmulvenna, May 22, 2008, 12:34:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmulvenna

The comment cell is used to display the screen tip when you hover over the shape. I cant seem to put a cell reference in the comment cell. If I put sheet.1!user.part_name in the comment cell that is what is displayed in the tip(not the value of sheet.1!user.part_name). Anyone know how to user a cell refence in the commnet cell in the misc section of the shapesheet?

Thanks
Mike

Lars-Erik

Tried this, but I don't have any problems. Make sure you don't put sheet.1!user.part_name between quotes.
Remove everything in the comments cell and enter this:

=sheet.1!user.part_name

It should work...

(I use Visio 2007, might be usefull to know)

- Lars

mmulvenna

Sorry, this was user error again.  ??? I did not put the equal sign in the formula. Another senior moment.

Please excuse my novice mistakes........

Thanks
Mike

Lars-Erik

Visio Guy

Guys,

This is TOTALLY a normal mistake to make. The full mystery goes like this...

You see, certain ShapeSheet cells expect strings, and therefore play tricks on you.

Cells like:

• Actions.Menu
  • Actions.SortKey
  • Actions.TagName
  • Controls.Prompt (Tip)
  • Comment
  • Hyperlink.Address
  • Hyperlink.Description
  • Hyperlink.ExtraInfo
  • Hyperlink.SubAddress
  • Prop.Format
  • Prop.Label
  • Prop.Prompt
  • Prop.SortKey
  • SmartTag.TagName
  • User.Prompt

and more, expect a string, and automatically put quotes around whatever you type. The trick, which is somewhat Excel-like, is to type "=" first.

So we select the Comment cell, then type: Sin(45)

Visio automatically makes it "Sin(45)", which for most people is pretty uninteresting.

So we try again, but this time type: =Sin(45)

Visio says: "AHA! A mathematical, or ShapeShe-etical formula! I will treat it like a formula and attempt to parse it!"

These "string" cells can be identified when you are in Formula-view in the ShapeSheet. They are the ones that display a default formula of "".
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

mmulvenna

Thanks everyone. Although I still consider myself a novice I am learning more each day. Thanks to all for the help. ;D

Mike