Multiple Fields on a Single Shape

Started by bengeier, August 03, 2017, 02:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bengeier

I have a shape with quite a bit of shape data (around 15) that all need to be shown in different places on the shape and updated dynamically when changed in the shape data window. I have found that a field would be exactly what I need, but, unless I am doing something wrong, it appears that a shape can only have a single field whereas I need 15.

I have also tried using a data graphic to display each value in a header, but formatting and positioning each "field" has proven to be quite involved (i.e. have to enable the ability to change the height, have to manually set vertical alignment, etc.) and if I ever want to add a new "field" to the graphic, all of the "fields" get replaced back to their original positions as they were before I put them where I want them.

Am I completely off base or missing something? What would be the best way to do this? I can continue to go with the data graphic method, but before I put countless frustrating hours into doing that, I want to make sure there isn't an easier way.

Thanks,
Ben

Paul Herber

You can have as many fields displayed as you want. Select the shape, then use the Text tool to get into text edit mode. Then use Insert -> Field as required. Reselect the Pointer tool to exit text edit mode.

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

wapperdude

Adding to Paul's comment...

You can insert a field, tab, multi-space, or carriage return to new line, and insert more fields.  These are wattage according to "normal" paragraph constraints.

If you're looking for more complex/unique positionings, perhaps arbitrary placements, then you might need to use a group shape that has multiple text boxes.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

bengeier

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them.

In response to Wapperdude, I do need arbitrary placement. How can I group multiple text boxes together but still ensure each text box has the group's shape data? In my current group, the group has the shape data, but each shape within the group has separate data that is different from the parent group.

Thanks,
Ben

wapperdude

Should have asked...which version of Visio?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Quote from: bengeier on August 05, 2017, 02:25:37 AM
... but each shape within the group has separate data that is different from the parent group.

After having used the tool I recommended, you can add additional data to the sub-shapes.
But I rather recommend to have data only in one place - the parent.
Yacine

bengeier

Wapperdude, Visio 2016 Professional

Yacine, I am only hesitant to use your tool because I need to make this shape a master in the stencil, would the tool allow me to do that?

Ben

wapperdude

Have you considered using containers?  As, I have V2007, about all I can do is ask.

I'll let Yacine address concerns regarding his Visio tool.

As I understand, you have a master shape that has some data.  Then, within this master, subshapes that reference and display portions of the master data.  Each of these needs to have access to the full data set, but will only show specific data.  So, each subshape would have a datalist that references the master datalist to select desired property.  Is that correct? 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Once the tool has been applied, the shape contains sub-shapes but is still a regular shape that you can store in a stencil.
In other words the tool is only needed once for the creation of the smartshape. It is not required afterwards.
Yacine

bengeier

Wapperdude, that is correct.

Yacine, I will give your tool a try!

Thanks again for the help.

Ben

wapperdude

While there is a certain "convenience" to using the grouped shape approach, another consideration might be to place the capitalist in the page, and let the shapes refer to the page rather than a master shape.  Just saying...

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

bengeier

Yacine,

I finally got a chance to implement your tool, and it worked perfectly for what I needed!!

Thank you so much,

Ben