How to Position Text Using Control Handles

Started by Michelle, March 17, 2009, 12:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michelle

I'm sure this will be a simple fix, but I am currently stuck on this problem. I am working with someone here at our office to create a shape with text in it that can be changed by the user based on what model number the item should be.  We have created the Shape Data list in the shape sheet, and the display and user interface to change the text is working fine. 

The problem came when we added controls so the user could also move the text.  The yellow diamond appears, but it does not seem to be tied at all to the shape data text.  The little yellow diamond can be moved around, but it does nothing to the text.  How do we link the control to the text so the text will move too? 

TIA,
Michelle

Visio Guy

Hi Michelle,

The text needs to be told to respond to the control handle. When you added the handle, you simply added a UI element. Many features of the shape could be configured to respond to it - geometry, text, colors, font sizes, anything!

You need to set cells in the Text Transform section (in the ShapeSheet: Window > Show ShapeSheet). You might have to insert this section to see it (insert, not view...it doesn't make sense but it's a quirk)

Once you've got the Text Transform section showing (it's way down at the bottom) you can link the cells like this:

TxtPinX = Controls.Row_1.X
TxtPinY = Controls.Row_1.Y
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010