Dispalying a sub page on the same page when a shape is clicked

Started by doudou, July 21, 2017, 06:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doudou

Hello,

I have searched over the net for this for a bit, but I might have been using the wrong keywords. I am wondering if it is possible to display a sub-page on teh same page when a shape is clicked. It would be almost like a giant tooltip that shows a sub-diagram related to the shape clicked. i know you can add a hyperlink to a shape that links to another page on the document but i am looking for a solution where it is displayed on the same page.

thanks,
Jean

JuneTheSecond

I don't think Visio has sub pages in a page.
But the discussion in the web may give you some hints.
https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/26745336/Visio-view-pages-side-by-side.html
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

metuemre

How about something like this?

Right click on the shape in the first page and left click "Insert Page Indexes Into the Shape" to populate Variable list with Page Indexes. Then Select a Page Index from the drop down list in the Shape Data of the shape. Then double click the shape and see the results.

Note that after you make a change on the document you need to save the drawing before double click the shape to see the changes.

metuemre

Yacine

Metuemre's idea is very good. Use the visio viewer as activex on the drawing and display a part of the drawing of a different page.
Yacine

doudou

Quote from: metuemre on July 24, 2017, 08:41:02 AM
How about something like this?

Right click on the shape in the first page and left click "Insert Page Indexes Into the Shape" to populate Variable list with Page Indexes. Then Select a Page Index from the drop down list in the Shape Data of the shape. Then double click the shape and see the results.

Note that after you make a change on the document you need to save the drawing before double click the shape to see the changes.

Thanks so much, this looks like a really viable solution (although I was hoping a built-in feature would be available)

metuemre

It's possible to make it look like a built-in feature. Please see the attached sample. I added a checkbox to Visual Aids group under View Tab so you can show/hide Sub Page View window.

doudou

Quote from: metuemre on July 25, 2017, 01:32:05 PM
It's possible to make it look like a built-in feature. Please see the attached sample. I added a checkbox to Visual Aids group under View Tab so you can show/hide Sub Page View window.

Thanks for sending this, but what I meant I was hoping for a built-in solution in Visio without the need for a macro, because macros will run in Visio Viewer (not everybody in my company has Visio)