Autoconnect configuration option?

Started by wlofab, March 16, 2009, 03:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlofab

Hi people,

I've tried to figure out how to customize the "dynamic connector option" (I don't know the exact name of this feature..) but I didn't manage to find the solution on the internet or MSDN Help http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa201778(office.10).aspx.

Look at the image attached to understand what I'm talking about.
when you click on the blue arrows (ellipse in red on my image) that appear when you fly over a shape, visio automatically adds and link a new shape. This is pretty handy and useful, but it would be even more if we would be able to configure the distance (in green on my image) between two shapes created that way?

Is it possible? do you have any idea how to configure this?

wapperdude

There is a global setting that can be used to control this.  File > Page Setup > Layout and Routing tab.  Click the Spacing button.
Visio 2019 Pro

wlofab

Yeah thank you wapperdude!

it seems to work. I've tried this before posting in this forum but changes are so slight that I didn't really notice it worked.

Anyway,I still have two little problems:

• if I "save as template" (*.vst extension), do this kind of configuration would be kept when I open this file again?
  • It seems that it's impossible to have "zero space" between two shapes...

Visio Guy

I think the settings that Wapperdude is referring to are really intended to "suggest" to Visio's layout how much space to keep between shapes. I was surprised that it worked for your AutoConnect-ing, and I'm not sure it is something you can depend on 100%.

I've not checked any of this rigorously, but it's my sense after playing with layout settings over the years. Visio will try to hold the spacing, but there are cases when it isn't possible...
For articles, tips and free content, see the Visio Guy Website at http://www.visguy.com
Get my Visio Book! Using Microsoft Visio 2010

wapperdude

A "suggestion" to Visio???   :o  How quaint!!!  That's not totally suprising, but, the few times I've played with it, always seemed OK.  Just to be sure, I had exercised the option, using Basic shapes, did seem fine.  I guess a qualifier is necessary, the Org Chart add-in has a mind of it's own, and is very reticent to accepting most changes. 

Regarding saving the configuration:  when you do a Save As, in V2007, the properties form that pops up has a Save workspace check box.  Make sure it's checked.  Also, you might try menu bar > Tools > Options > Advanced and check the Put all settings in Windows registry.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wlofab

Okay thanks for your precisions.

you're great.

I attached a picture to demonstrate how Visio can be stubborn sometimes..

This result is not exactly what I wanted to do at the beginning but I will try to adapt to..