Shapes without datas

Started by Miguel, July 12, 2017, 01:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miguel

Hello,

I have few macros which put datas from an external data array in shapes . However, when I open my document after save it, my shapes which were in my page before to close it are without datas. I don't know why.. And it's very problematic  :-[

Do you have an explication and a might solution ?

Thank you

wapperdude

Sorry, Crystal ball is out for repair...need more info...
Is this a new problem?  Did the shapes use to save OK? 

Presumably, you're doing this with code...is it filling in existing shape entries or creating new shapesheet entries?  Is the data refreshed when the document opens?

What version of Visio?   What kind of shapes...normal Visio shapes?  Grouped shapes?  Custom shapes you made?  Timeline or org chart or any shapes associated with Visio added in features?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Miguel

Quote from: wapperdude on July 12, 2017, 01:39:33 PM
Is this a new problem?  Did the shapes use to save OK? 
Yes it is a new problem. I don't understand your second question.. But when I save my document, I click on the floppy disk icon. It's only the datas into the shape which desappear.

What version of Visio?   What kind of shapes...normal Visio shapes?  Grouped shapes?  Custom shapes you made? 
I'm using Visio 2013 and only basics shapes (Rectangle, Triangle) and I've customed a rectangle but i don't think that is the problem.

Timeline or or org chart or any shapes associated with Visio added in features?
Yes, when i add a shape on my page, that's lunch macro.

But there is an significant element. My first shape is added from my External data array.
As you know, visio  allows to add an array from Excel. So i click on my shape to chose my form which will associated at my data and from my array, I drag and drop my row on the page. So, I have a shape in my page with my data...

wapperdude

The 2nd question is related to the 1st...that is, previously, the document with these shapes used to save and re-open with no problems.

Any changes to the PC or the network?  For example, did the source (Excel file) get moved?  Edit to the macro?  Could it be overwriting the data with blanks?

Are you sure that Visio is saving to location you think?  Perhaps the file you access is not the most recently saved? 

I know these seem like dumb questions, but I must ask as I don't have V2013, and so, need to eliminate the obvious.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Miguel

Quote from: wapperdude on July 12, 2017, 02:16:04 PM
I know these seem like dumb questions, but I must ask as I don't have V2013, and so, need to eliminate the obvious.
Don't worry, i understand ;)

Well, all my source document are in my local repertory. Indeed, I'm working with a excel file which don't change.
I'm working sometimes with the same PC...

Moreover, when I open my visio project, my external data array are sometime open..

Miguel

Yacine

Hi Miguel,
your post is very difficult to understand. Can you upload a safe (stripped down) vsd? (preferably together with the data file (with dummy data)).
Yacine

Miguel

Hello Yacine,

Sadly, I cannot share my project for reasons of confidentiality...
But as you can see in the picture (Exemple 1), I have an external Data array from excel. It was imported. I created a stencil with differents forms and i I've put informations of my external data on my shapes. Thus, thanks to a drag and drop between my external data array and my page, I've put a shape slected on my stencil with data in the page. After to save my project and close it, when i open my project, my shapes have lost tha data (Exemple 2).

When i open it, It is as if there had been no information used.

Thanx,
Best,

Miguel

wapperdude

What Yacine was asking...create a dummy data file, and, if necessary, dummy shape, run your macro.  This should reproduce the problem.  Upload that...there ought to be nothing proprietary.

Is the problem with just this one file?  Have you tried making a new file?  Do you have an old file that is ok?  What changed between old and new files?  The macros?  The file locations?  Have there been PC updates?   

Check these questions because they will help to determine if the file is corrupt, if the macro is the problem, any system changes, or if Visio corrupt.

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Miguel

Ok,

I will reply at this post when i will create a dummy file.

Thank for help,
Miguel.