can I put the same shape on different pages?

Started by billman, July 06, 2017, 06:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billman

Hi - I'm new here and did a quick search on my question (with no hits).

I'm using Visio 2010 and, after many years of using it, I'm finally getting into reports, shape data, and VBA.  My question is: the Visio database module (regrettably gutted after 2010) allowed you to put the "same" entity/rectangle on multiple pages and it would sync consistently across the pages.  Using other templates, e.g., a flow chart, is it possible to put the same shape (e.g., Rectangle.243) on multiple pages and maintain the consistency/sync across all the pages?  I'm guess that Visio has to keep each graphical symbol uniquely identified across all the pages, so I'm thinking that what I'm looking for probably isn't possible - but I thought I'd check with y'all anyway.

Any thoughts?

thx - Bill

FlowerGirl

Is this shape linked to a data source? that might keep it the same on each page.
Most of my Visio experience is in the Timeline template area.
Milestone shapes if linked to date driven data will be the same on all pages.

Or maybe you could put this shape on a background page, then display multiple foreground pages with your background containing its shape, That way that shape would represent itself on all your pages.

Just banging around some thoughts
FG.

AnotherNoOne

If you set a user-defined Cell in the Docs shapesheet, you can use the Setf/GetRef commands to sync the rectangles in their shapesheet (one gets changed, it changes the User cell, the others change based off the user cell).
Another_Noone

Just some weirdo on the Interwebs.

billman

Thanks, FlowerGirl -- No, the shapes aren't linked to a data source - I'm not sure how to do that - I'll have to look into it.

Thanks, Another_Noone - This is another functionality I'm unfamiliar with ... I'll have to look into it, too.

Thanks for the suggestions. Bill