Visio Gantt Chart

Started by angellisme, June 15, 2017, 06:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angellisme

I am 99.9% the picture was created in visio.  I have a pdf where that gantt chart breaks across 10 pages.  It is nice and pretty.  I know the person who did it.  Problem is I can't ask her how she did it.  I need to create a gantt chart that looks like that.  Can anyone help me?  I know she imported the data from Excel, which I have done.  When I do this, there are so many things that it will not allow me to fix.  The column for task is a set size and nothing I do will allow me to change it.  There is a column before the task name that will not go into hiding!  It will not break across pages - I mean it will but just keeps going and going without having nice breaks like the picture.  Any help would be greatly appreciative! 

I am using Visio Professional 2016.

Paul Herber

That's not  Visio chart.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

angellisme

Any idea what it is?  The person who made it only uses a few programs and I know Visio is one of them.  She is not the most computer literate person.

Paul Herber

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

angellisme

Project doesn't have bars and end points that look like that - only Visio does.  Project typically looks more like the attached. >:(

Yacine

You can format a Gantt chart as shown in your picture, but it requires some (a lot of) work and knowledge of Visio's architecture. Wouldn't the best solution be to hire a freelancer?
Estimated time: 1 to 4-5 days, depending on your further requirements.

There's also other software available, but I guess they require the same (or more) time to tweak the output to your needs.
Yacine

angellisme

I would be open to other software options, but I haven't found one that lists the tasks like that with the timeline out to side.  It does have to be able to import into word nicely.

I figured you could format the Gantt like that in Visio and I have a feeling she was heavily billing the client which is what I don't want to do.  Hence, the reason they are  hiring me over her.  I know it had to have taken her a LOT of time to do that if she did that in Visio as I know how long it took her to do the stuff I do.  The main thing is I feel like the Visio Gantt chart is "locked" down and can't get it unlocked to manipulate it.   

Miki

Quote from: angellisme on June 15, 2017, 07:10:21 PM
Any idea what it is?  The person who made it only uses a few programs and I know Visio is one of them.  She is not the most computer literate person.

I am pretty sure this is from Primavera software.

-Miki

wapperdude

In V2007, you can stretch the Task column to any width you need.  Just click on the task name, the entire column is selected, and you can grab a side to stretch, or you can grab the entire column an place it in a different location.  Surprised that V2016 doesn't allow this.

Have you tried just creating a simple, default Gantt chart and experimenting?  Perhaps, something in your methodology is locking the width?

Just wondering.  It does look a little different than the V2007 edition default configuration...

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

angellisme

I inputted the data from excel because it 153 items.  I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.  The attachment is what I get.  It won't let me make the column larger.  It only gives me the cross - I feel like something is locked down and I don't know how to unlock it. I also can't get rid of (or hide) that first column.

wapperdude

That's why I suggested just taking a basic, default Gantt chart.  Eliminate all the extraneous factors, and then see if the behavior changes or not.  I understand the need because there's a lot of entries.  But (1) I only have V2007, and (2) no one else has indicated a similar problem with V2016, so I no direct knowledge and can only suggest things to try to narrow down the possibilities.

The other approach would be to upload a Visio file that has the problem and does not have any proprietary info, to let someone else take a look.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro