Help Creating a Custom Shape

Started by skydiver13, May 25, 2017, 07:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skydiver13

Hello.  I am trying to create a shape similar to a SPST switch which is already created in visio. I would like create a shape to have similar functions, whereas I would right click and press show closed circuit or press show open circuit. Does any one know how to create a shape where I would right click and press show pic 1 and than right click and press show pic2. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

wapperdude

Hi Skydiver13...

First, please don't double post, not necessary and makes responding difficult.

To your topic...certainly doable.  Which specific shape? 

Basically, in the shapesheet, add 2nd geometry section and duplicate entries from initial, geometry1 section.  Now, edit the row for the switch "indicator" show it shows closed contact.  Your drawing should show both open and closed conflicts at this point.

At the top of each geometry section is entry geometry1.no show or geometry2.noshow...or something like that.  In the geometry2.noshow, enter formula =not(Geometry1.noshow).

To control the viewing, you need to add entry in the action section.  That entry would toggle the geometry1.no show entry.  That would then alternate the views.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

skydiver13

I attached the two shapes that I want to combine. And want to be able to press show Pos A or PosB.

skydiver13

I would appreciate help with how to do this in the shape sheet data.

wapperdude

These are two different switches? 

I've not seen these before, but I only have V2007 standard.  Could you upload them?   Another solution in this case, load be to overlay them and group, assign each to each to a layer, then toggle between the two layers.

Not sure what you mean "press".  Visio doesn't have pressure sensitive functionality.  This could be done with a double click or with right click and select desired view.  Each amounts to two mouse clicks.

Wapperdude

PS:  I need VSD file type.  Others can do it with VSDX.
Visio 2019 Pro

skydiver13

Thanks wapperdude for responding. These two shapes I have created them myself. I brought the example of a switch where you can switch the views of it to an open switch or closed switch by right clicking and selecting show_open circuit and then show_closed circuit. I was wondering if there is a way to do the same thing with these two shapes that I have created. I would like to be able to see Pos A or Pos B of these shapes. I would like to select show_PosA or show_PosB.

I like your layer solution and I dont mind it but I would prefer to be able to switch between the views like a switch does because, I have many different shapes that need this function and toggling between layers will take forever. I hope you understand what I am trying to accomplish here.

wapperdude

First, toggling layers would be fast.  It's reasonably simple:  assign switch1 to a layer, named, SW1 and switch2 to layer oh, SW2.  Group the shapes.  Then, set a single action to toggle layer SW1 on/off.  Set SW2 visibility to be NOT SW1, that way visibility always toggles between these two shapes.

If you want assistance, upload the two shapes.  If they're proprietary, send me message and I'll provide email contact.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

group shape is the circle
subshape1 is the "case A"
subshape2 is the "case B"
2 actions at the group level
   "show case A"
   "show case B"
on each subshape, go to geometry sections....in noshow cell = if (action<x>.checked,false,true)

now when you right click on group shape, select case you want.   (checked means you want to see it)

skydiver13

Wapperdude you are a big help. If you could, please help on how to toggle and how set the visibility not to be SW1. I attached a file with both of the shapes. Thanks

wapperdude

I'd be happy to look at the shapes, but, you'll need to upload as vsd as I never graduated beyond V2007.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

skydiver13

I attached a VSD file instead.

Surrogate

skydiver13

I saved it as vsd. Did I do it wrong?

Surrogate

Quote from: skydiver13 on May 30, 2017, 04:31:54 PMDid I do it wrong?
You attach vsdx file again !
Quote from: skydiver13 on May 30, 2017, 02:24:17 PM
I attached a VSD file instead.
check file extension !

skydiver13