How to draw circular arc subtending angle T with radius R?

Started by phillip.from.oz, May 22, 2017, 05:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillip.from.oz

Hi,
There was a great solution on "How to draw circular arc subtended angle T with radius R?" posted to this forum back in 2012 (Wapperdude - Jan 06, 2012 @ 13:25) and the solution works great!

However I want concentric circles so with this shape can I see the centre of the circle; at the moment I line it up by "eye".

I'm assuming this shape is a custom shape - is there a way I can debug it/change it; would the code be written in a special macro language?

Thanks for any help!

Surrogate

Quote from: phillip.from.oz on May 22, 2017, 05:49:07 AM
great solution on "How to draw circular arc subtended angle T with radius R?" posted to this forum back in 2012 (Wapperdude - Jan 06, 2012 @ 13:25)
Can't find this thread

wapperdude

For reference, the link is:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=3640.msg14211#msg14211

For convenience, attached has two "arc" shapes with hide-able origin dot.  I've also added this file to the above link.  Adding the origin dot done via inserting additional geometry section.  There is no code, everything is done thru the shapesheet.  Yes, it is user editable.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

phillip.from.oz

Thanks for the work in preparing this solution.

However the dot for the centre although it appears does not indicate the centre.

I'm sorry that I cannot attach the *.vsd file as the reply screen does not support file attachment

I am doing something wrong?

wapperdude

Whoa!  My bad.  :o   Here's corrected.   :-[

Where's that quality control inspector???   >:(
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

RudySchneider

There are no problems, only opportunities

wapperdude

@Yacine:  explain what's incorrect?  The origin dot is at the center of the arc...not the center of the shape.  When all of the dots are aligned, then, all of the arcs rotate around a common point.  Where's the problem?   Is the expectation both???

Oh, ignore Page-1, I did forget to delete it.

Thanks.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Dear Wayne, I deeply apologize for the harshness of my short reply. You did ask for a quality control. So I tried to help. ;)
Sorry.

So the dot is not always on the rotation center (PinX and Y) of the shape. This appears specially when the angle is small. I did check it with every shape, presuming you may had corrected only one of them.

I may (should) have checked the smart-shape as well. But it's always delicate to criticise the work of a "senior" contributor. So I limited my contribution to this concise remark.

By the way, I'm having a real hard time: you're the 3dr person I really offended today. I should hide somewhere - deep in the mountains - until this phase passes out.
Yacine

wapperdude

@Yacine:  No offense was taken.  You'll have to reduce your count by one, or try harder.   :o  Sorry if my response implied that.  I was, like you, trying to be cryptic in my answer.  I was surprised about an error existing, since the approach did leverage an existing shape, and I had tried some minimal error checking.

However, your comment did make me re-think the shape, especially in light of making concentric circles.  So, I decided to rework from the ground up.  Now the origin is both at the center of the arc and the center of the shape.  This eases and facilitates concentric alignment.  The shape does accept positive or negative angles.  Did not try negative radius.  I don't think I want to know.

Oh, no, I didn't try a lot of variations, but the math should be correct by design...I hope!   ;D

Cheers.
Wapperdude

Edit: 5/24-- tried really tiny radius, remains centered.  Did not try extremely large, but expect to be ok.  Negative radius should be avoided, think of mirror image...flips the arc and offsets it.
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

OK.  So I don't know when to quit.

Latest update has some cool features.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

No, it was just the appreciation to the Maestro ;) ;D .
Yacine