Diagram With Configurable Ports

Started by visionoobie, May 15, 2017, 02:37:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

visionoobie

Hello all,

I'm still very new to using the advance functions of Visio and I was wondering if the following is possible with Visio:

I'm trying to build a network diagram template that will change depending on the environment. Each environment has various infrastructure in the DMZ & Intranet with a portfolio of 5 products to choose from. Each of these products use different ports (by default) and not all environments may need all the ports opened.

Right now my solution is to build a layer with connector & port information for each service. This creates a bit of a mess if the environment uses all 5 products. I'd love for a way to have all ports appear on the same connector. Is this possible through some sort of smartsheet or macro?

wapperdude

This creates a bit of a mess if the environment uses all 5 products.  Why so?

The shape must be large enough to show maximum number of allowed, visible ports regardless of approach.  Are there other, non-port items on the layer?

But, yes, a single smart shape could be built...using multiple geometry sections.
  1)  Geometry1:  main body of connector
  2)  Geometry2 - Geometry6:  a geometry section for each for each port.  Visibility would be on/off according to environment property.

Wapperdude

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

FYI...couple of other tricks

RE change geometry
    e.g.  if selected, true geometry, geometry = 0
    this is effectively makes geometry so small (0) to make it disappear from view
    Example   If(mytrigger.action.checked = checked, width * 1.0, width * 0.0)

RE show/hide
    In each geometry you can show / hide  the fill, line, etc
    effectively cause the shape disappear....downside is that the selection box remains same, so selecting thru it can be tough.

RE layers
   as stated by others

Usually, I have had action buttons to affect these settings