Shape Data Window - support for multi line display

Started by omalljk, May 11, 2017, 06:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omalljk

It's my understanding that the Shape Data window will not allow multiple lines for a given Shape Data value.  If that is the case, then I need to re-create the look and feel of that window with the ability to show multiple lines per value field.  Any thoughts how this can be accomplished?

wapperdude

Why do you need multiple lines?  There exists fixed and variable lists which give you option to choose from various values.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

omalljk

Let's see if I can clearly explain the problem that I'm having:
The Shape Data Window displays each Shape Data row (Label, Value).  Some of the Value columns contain data with line feeds (although it can't be stored or presented that way).  So for example the following data stored in shape data value cell should actually display multiple lines.

Stored in Shape Data as:
"Legacy * LIST * TUC * List Sales Size * Division"

How I want it display in the Shape Data Window (multiple lines in the one cell)
Legacy
   * List
   * TUC
   * List Sales Size
   * Division

Hopefully that helps explain my dilemma.  Don't believe the Shape Data window will be able to display multiple lines in a cell.  If that is true would like to mimic the Shape Data window with that behavior.

wapperdude

What is the intended action if one of these is selected?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

omalljk

The Shape Data is only for display.  The intent is to format the data into multiple lines within the cell for presentation to our end users.  The below image shows examples, the first one contains no line feeds, which I believe is the default for shape data, and the second one shows the same data as in Example 1 but with line feeds.  Don't believe the Shape Data window will be able to display multiple lines in a cell.  If that is true would like to mimic the Shape Data window with that behavior. 

wapperdude

Shapedata display won't do that.  Two work-arounds.

1)  Use Callout which displays when mouse hovers over the shape.  The Callout can be edited to show necessary info.
2)  Use double click behavior to toggle info displayed in 2nd shape.  This requires more editing than 1st.  You can either group the two shapes or convert the 1st shape to a group and then add 2nd shape.  This latter technique is used in the attached file.

These were the 2 quickest ways that came to mind.  Might be able to use data graphic...perhaps assign to a layer and toggle layer on/off.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

omalljk

Thanks wapperdude.

I'm sure this is pretty simple, but how can you display a Callout when the mouse hovers over the shape.     

wapperdude

First, I mis-spoke.  It's Shape Screen Tip, not Callout.  Sorry.  Just google Visio screen tip.  Some of it depends upon which version of Visio.

Did you look at the attached file?  Just hover the mouse over the shape and wait a little.  For multiple lines, open the shapesheet.  In the Miscellaneous section, look at the Comment entry.  That gives you the formatting for the multiple lines.  You need to add whatever you want displayed, here in the shapesheet.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro