Custom Shape - How to add description Text

Started by FastScan, March 11, 2009, 04:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastScan

Ive created several shapes and added them to my templates. That part is working fine. However, I dont understand how to add "description" text to the shape. So when I add the shape to my drawing I can double click to enter text below the shape. What am I missing here during the creation of my shapes?

thanks for any help

aledlund

sounds like the evtDblClick cell has been modified (default should be "OPENTEXTWIN()"")
al

wapperdude

Was the question about adding text, or about adding text below the shape?  Assuming that you can add text with dblClk, but instead inside the shape, you want it below, you can do the following:  select the shape, and then from the toolbar, selct the Text Block Tool.  Zoom into your shape, and with the TBT active, reposition and resize the text block as desired.  Now, dblClking will place the text in the new localtion.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

FastScan

Thanks for the responces. The question is about adding text. For example, if I do the following:

1. Draw a box
2. Draw another box on the first box (this is my new shape... two boxes)
3. Group the boxes together

Now I want to be able to double click the shape and have a text box open at the bottom of the shape so I can add a description.

How do I go about adding the text box??

wapperdude

Same way as previously indicated:

If you don't want to select the two rectangles, just the group, you might want to:
   a.)  select the group
   b.)  right click > Format > Behavior > change the selection box from Group First to Group Only.

So, reviewing the text box issue:
   a.)  dbl click the group
   b.)  go to menu bar and select the Text Box Tool (it's the other pull down option for the text tool)
   c.)  with the TBT active, grap the control points of the text box to resize and reposition as desired

Future dbl click and typing will now put text is the new location.

Visio 2019 Pro

rodsoares101

I had the same problem a while ago, I wanted to add description text box to a shape that pop up when I double clicked it. I used Paul Herber's Text Output Pop Up Box, see the article (http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=343.0).
I added a custom property to my shapes prop.description and to the shape's shapesheet Events EventDblClick cell
=RUNADDONWARGS("outputdialog.exe",prop.description). You have to install the add on first. That way everytime you double click it a text box pops up with the detailed information you want to display.

Paul Herber

Nice to know it's being used!
When I get time (ha!) I'll add some more features (like setting the box title and making it unicode compatible).

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/