Shape protection issue (again)

Started by dekiblue, May 03, 2017, 02:25:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dekiblue

I have a document where I can't change the shapes, delete them, ungroup them, I get the message
"Shape protection, container, and/or layer properties prevent complete execution of this command".

I found a few threads but unfortunately nothing helped me.

If I try to group them I get the message "Organization Chart shapes cannot be included in group shape."

So I added Developer tab and I can see that the shape has no protection. The Layer properties show that the layer is not locked and yet I can't delete or ungroup the shapes. I can add more shapes but even if I make the copy of existing shapes I still can't delete them.

It's driving me crazy  >:(

Any ideas please?

Yacine

Can you upload the file? Strip sensitive data off.
Yacine

dekiblue

Thank you for your reply.

Well, I would love to upload it but I get Shape Protection error when I try to delete any of the photos.  ;)

wapperdude

You haven't really told us much about the drawing or what your trying to do.  More detail would be helpful.

Sounds like this is an Org Chart drawing.  The inability to group shapes is normal behavior.  To remove a picture, right click the shape.  A pop up menu should give you the option to hide or delete the picture.

Generally, modifying Org Chart shapes isn't allowed.  There's a lot of code behind the Org Chart, and typically, if you can make changes, they will get clobbered and things return to as they were.

So what is it that you're trying to delete?  How did you come by this drawing?  Is this a drawing that you made or that you inherited?  The more specific info that you provide, the better we can address the problems.

BTW, was this one of the threads you researched?  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6633.msg27553#msg27553

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

dekiblue

Thank you for your reply Wrapperdude,

Your are right, it's and Org Chart drawing. I made it few years ago using Visio 2013.

And yes, I'm trying to change the picture but right clicking the existing picture and it does not give me the option to change it. If I remember correctly, the basic shape
came with silhouette which I removed and placed a photo. I'm attaching a file with two shapes copied from my chart.

So how do I delete existing pictures?

Thanks,

wapperdude

If you can upload as vsd, I can look at it.  I have V2007 only.  Not aware of any behavioral differences.  Otherwise, must wait for someone else to come along.

Rather than right clicking picture, just right click the shape containing it.  That ought to bring up the menu.

Cheers.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

dekiblue

Again, you're right!

I was right clicking on the existing picture instead on the shape!

Thanks.

Best,
Deki

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro