Correctly importing shape types Visio 2016 org chart

Started by macleoda, April 17, 2017, 01:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macleoda

Hi,

Trying to import a datafile from Excel to build an org chart. There seems to be little or no documentation on this other than the most trivial.

I started by drawing a dummy org chart using all the position types I need (manager, executive, position, vacancy, assistant, etc) and exporting it; Visio creates a column in the data file called "Master_shape" and gives it a number 1, 2, 3 etc for each type. Since there is no documentation, I created my own x-ref (e.g. 0 = 'executive').

I then used my own staff file (names, reporting lines, department etc) and to this I added a column with the same name exactly.. "Master_shape".. and included the numbers 0-5 as above according to which type of position it should appear as.

However. No matter what I put, the import makes all positions the same. The "top exec" is automatically shown as an exec, any position with reports is shown as a manager, and all others (whether assistant, vacancy, consultant, etc) are shown as a regular position.

If I have to manually change all the non-standard positions, I may as well not have an automated import! So there MUST be a way.

Anyone know how to do this?

**ALSO** while writing, since I am sure it's been asked 10e6 times before... surely there is a way to get a set of good old basic boxes for the org chart. Yes, I know, you can delete the pictures but WHY should you HAVE TO? Also, sometimes when you import data or copy pages, it reverts to the wrong set of templates anyway. All I want is different size / weight rectangular boxes (which I am sure used to be possible, even within PowerPoint). Can you still do this? If so, how, and how to default to these shapes?

Thanks