Drawing explorer

Started by jfvert, April 14, 2017, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfvert

Hey guys, I dont really understand how the drawing explorer is working... How can i tell a shape to follow a certain style??

Thanks

Surrogate

Drawing explorer provide to you list of styles, and via Drawing explorer you can create or edit exist styles. You can't change shape's style via Drawing explorer!

jfvert

Ok, but can i force a shape to take a certain style that i created? via shapesheet ??

wapperdude

Sure.  The DEW is a convenience for displaying and accessing at various levels...from document, to pages, to shapes, to shapesheet, layers, and more.

Use the help to learn its various features.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

In Visio before 2010, there was a command "Style", where you could apply the style you created in the drawing explorer.
Means, you select shape(s), then right-click, select "Format -> Style", and then select the style to apply.
Also, there was a "Format Shape" toolbar with quick drop-downs to select the style.

It looks like this command did not make it to the ribbon.
In Visio 2010-2013, you need to first find this command in the list of "not in ribbon" commands, then make it available, and then use.
In Visio 2016, you can type "style" in the search box, and the use the command.

It looks like this "styles" feature as a whole is now considered obsolete (in favor of themes):

Create custom thems
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-custom-theme-a3056d0d-9662-46d3-a120-4ca41bdfa216

But from 2013 on, even the custom theme effects (line settings, etc) was removed...?
They do not seem to trust us anymore to create custom themes? :)

jfvert

Hi Nikolay, Thanks a lot! I dont understand why a feature as usefull as style is that hidden.... is there a way i can tell a shape to "Follow" a certain style using the shape sheet? or VBA? thanks a lot nade have a good day

JFVert