Association of Smart Shapes by non-power users

Started by celoranta, April 04, 2017, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celoranta

Hi all.

I previously asked a question about how to determine what shapes are glued to a given connector... and the answer ending up involving code.  Sadly, that lies outside my possibilities here at work.

So, let's approach the problem from a more basic level:

How can I allow non-power users to associate one stencil-derived smart shape with another?

In my use-case I have two smart shapes: 

-The first is a diagram used to quickly calculate data regarding the view of a video display from a given location.  It is dragged from a stencil, manipulated, and tweaked over a scaled background of a floor plan.  The diagram is sleek and chock full of data generation capabilities, but it has a limited amount of space in which to display printed data.

-The second is basically a small chart showing viewing parameters and their current values. 

I need my users to be able to associate these two shapes, and the chart to then populate with the associated diagram's data.

The printed version will need to visually indicate which diagrams refer to which charts, as multiple diagram/chart pairs will be visible on a given page.

I've attached a PDF to show the general concept of what I'm after.  In this (imagined) solution, the user can edit the letter "A"'s in the circles to associate a given diagram with a given chart.  I am open to any solution that would achieve my goals.  It does not need to follow this concept or look exactly like this.

To be clear, I'm solid on getting the data from the user input, creating the smart shapes themselves, etc. I just can't figure out how to create the dynamic, user-driven references I need.

Sorry to post a PDF... my employer has disallowed me to post the smart shape.

wapperdude

Briefly, you could
1) group the two shapes.  Pre-assign the property relations.   Then drag and drop will always have needed correlation.
2) assign chart to a specific  layer, that way it can be viewed or not viewed.

There's probably other ways...using data graphics, for example.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

celoranta

Thanks Wapperdude,

My users are limited to drag & drop, right-click menus, shape data, and typing text into shapes; so I can't expect them to group..
As for layers, are there layers "pre-built" into shapes (rather than pages?) The diagram is used across many document templates, so I have no control over the page itself, only the stencil.

Does that leave me any options? 

Just a thought, could I populate an action menu to list all the shapes on the current page that are descended from a specific master shape?  Perhaps this would allow the user to create a link, and the shapes could auto-populate an identifier value somehow?

I will look into data graphics, as that is new to me.

Thanks again,
Chris

wapperdude

First, I use V2007, std, so, don't take my word especially final.  All regular contributors know this, so they'll contribute too.

By grouping, I meant create a group u ped shape for user to drag and drop.  You could make the display the group if you prefer and add t he table to the group.  The right click shape context menu can show / hide layer.  If I'm not mistaken, when you drop shape on a page, it should add the layer to that page.

Unless it's a newer feature, shape hierarchy needs code.  There is a legend shape which lists all shapes on a page, but I think it just does a count tabulation.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Yeah.  Forget the layer idea, but, there's still ways to do this.  See simple attached.

The Flat Screen is the group.  The SpecTable is submember of the group.  Double click the TV brings up the shape data entry.  Value updates the table.  Alternatively, just stretching the screen will update the width.  Not setup to enter value in table and go the other way.  Hey, it's simple.  Right click the TV and click the Show/Hide to toggle the table between shown and hidden.  No layers involved.

Still suggest checking out datagraphics.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro