Text size in a data link

Started by rsoby, March 09, 2009, 08:44:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsoby

:-\
Is there a way to adjust the size of the text fonts in the data displayed in a data graphic - in the edit mode I can turn off the NAME field, eliminate the border - but where can I change the text size (font???) in default mode my text is too long, doubles over to a 2nd line and takes too much space. I could alter the text in teh excel file, but I want it as is, just smaller.

Paul Herber

Have you tried just selecting the data graphic and changing the font size via the toolbar?

Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

rsoby

There does not seem to be a way or place to modify the text size - if you select the object the data is tied to - the text size is applicable only to the shape, not the data attached. The request I made was to try and find the control for the text in the attached data.

Paul Herber

Yes, but if you select the data graphic instead of the shape then you can modify the data graphic's format.
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

rsoby

OK - I'm on bended knee - how do I select just the data - everything I click on activates the shape and the only text is the shape text. Nothing seems to attache to the text box of the attached data and the edit capabilities of the DATA GRAPHIC are very limited.

I've searched the web and books and nothing – there seems lots about attaching data to a shape, but nothing on formatting that data – beyond whats in the EDIT DATA GRAPHIC and there size, color – even how to create the 'call outs' is never discussed. You can only use the call outs they have created.  Seems strange that all other text formatting is so powerful – yet for attached data – so limited

Paul Herber

I think this is a know bug, your shapes are images, if you add a standard shape and add appropriate shape data and then apply the same data graphic then the data fields are selectable and you can change the font.

Here's an example, with the rectangle shape you can select the data area, with the server shape you can't.

wapperdude

I don't do datagraphics as I don't have a need to do so, but, here are some thoughts.

In the file that you provide, Paul, if you bring up the Drawing Explorer window, (from the View on the menu bar for those who don't know), then navigate to foreground pages, and expand the graphic shape, there are two text shapes.  Open the shapesheet for these shapes, go to the character section, change the font size.  (I realize you know all of this Paul).  So, in defining the datagraphic, it could be possible to hardcode a different text size, even different font style.  Alternatively, these entries could be made to be slaved off the top level group's shapesheet, and thus passed down when you select font/size.  For example, in your drawing, open the shapesheet for Text Callout.  Scroll down to the character section.  In the font cell, enter Sheet.1!Char.Font, and in the Size cell enter Sheet.1!Char.Size.  Now the font and size are controllable from the menu bar when the main shape is selected.

HTH
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

Quote from: wapperdude on March 10, 2009, 04:36:31 PM
I don't do datagraphics as I don't have a need to do so
Me neither, first time I've really looked at it too, of no interest to me.

rsoby

Well nothing like having a critical issue (The boss wants it like this and thats that) to cause you to learn the tricks -

As it turns out it is editable - just not very intuitive - nor easy

Steps are as follows:
Goto VIEW and turn on Drawing Explorwer Window
then find the right diagram and part of diagram - Foreground pages - page name - SHAPES - then find the shape tied to that master shape, open it and find the shapes (it can be a large tree depending on how much or detailed your shape is.

You are looking for Heading (this is the heading block on the data graphic. Click on it and then the text properties do effect it.

You also need to find the "text callouts" these are any other text you created in the EDIT DATA GRAPHIC process (add lines of data to be visible)

as you click on the various pieces in the Drawing Explorer window, they will be in a green edit on the drawing so you can hunt around for what you want (works nice when you have several text callouts)

Now the good news is after you alter one - save it to your FAVORITES stencil and then you can drag it out and link other rows of data to it. So in my case where I had 4 verticle columns of 15-20 servers - I modified one, saved it to stencil, brought it out 1 time, linked data to it - and every subsequent row of data assumed that shape.

The bad news is that the formatting of the datashape is not paintable. If you need different shapes but the same formatting you either have to edit that shape (after you link data to it), or be real good at copy. there is probably a property somewhere to allow you to change one shape for another - but I had a deadline so I just did the edits - now I know where to find them.

I hope this helps others and it is as was said - just edit the data graphic - however the how is a tad complicated -

Gee maybe someone with great coding skills will make a wizard to edit data graphics - ie click on a shape - and be able to edit the text, color, size, fill, select shapes etc.  wouldn't that be great.

rsoby

Wapperdude is right on - thats where it was (where were you late last night?  oh well - as I said I learnede a lot)

BTW - you have to be real careful when linking data as it will grab the whole excel sheet (if you touched any rows or columns for formatting) and thus take forever to link due to size of excel file) and make your visio drawing huge.

Use the CLEAR process in excel to kill off non-used rows and columns and make sure you only bring over whats needed.

wapperdude

Reluctant to chime in since datagraphics isn't a strong area for me.   :'(  Not a big fan of hoof in mouth disease, and I do that way too often.   :P

Ah!  Necessity the mother of invention.   >:(
Visio 2019 Pro