Shape keeps resizing and aligning/snapping when not desired

Started by Majavix, March 03, 2017, 07:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majavix

Hello All,

I'm finding myself in the midst of a rather frustrating problem - one that has kept me investigating solutions for hours on end, with zero results. Here's a quick description of my issue -

I'm doing some home designs created with various shapes - walls, structures, etc. and need the shapes to retain their provided dimensions. Unfortunately, when I try to move shape B (brown color) in between the other shapes, it automatically resizes and glues itself to the adjacent sides, thus changing my dimensions. Changing the properties back to the original dimension does not work.

I've tried disabling snap and glue, protecting the shape, holding down a combination of different keys - nothing worked. I've attached some screenshots of my dilemma, any help is greatly appreciated.

TY!

wapperdude

Protection doesn't work?  Right click shape, Format>Protection>Lock width and height.  Works in V2007.

Perhaps you can upload simple example?  VSD format preferred...you'll get more contributors.

Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro

Majavix

Thank you for your response - unfortunately, no, protection does not work. I'm totally baffled.

I've attached a scaled down version of the VSD file - I had to take off the unneeded shapes to get it within the upload limitations.

Hopefully this helps in finding a solution.

TY!

wapperdude

Well, great news!  You're not going crazy. 

There seems to be some maximum spacing, below which, the object will stretch to the wall, even with all the "prohibitions" in place.  Greater than this distance, then the length holds and the shape just drags around.  I'm assuming that you're on V2010 or newer.  I tried this on V2007 and get the same behavior.  So, it would seem to be a function of the built-in add-in code.

Sorry.  That doesn't help much.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Majavix

Thanks again for the feedback, and for looking into this.

Does that mean there's no solution to this issue? Should I try to play around some more or just pursue an alternate course of action?

wapperdude

I don't see a solution.  But, someone else might have, so you may get notifications from the post.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Paul Herber

A problem is that the shape was derived from a Visio "Wall" shape and it still has all the attributes of a Wall shape. In the shapesheet editor look at the cells User.SolSH, User.ShapeClass, User.ShapeTYpe and User.SubShapeType. These all tell the Plan addin what to do with the shape and the addin is trying to make it work as a wall. It's possible to stop it doing all these Wall things but then you will also lose other shape intelligence. What else do you want the shape to do or not do?
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Majavix

Got it, that makes sense. I think I'll just remove the wall attribute and use a regular shape instead.

TY for looking into this and providing an explanation. This was driving me nuts. Much appreciated!