disappearing connection points

Started by perry59, March 02, 2017, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry59

I have a function whereby I drop an electrical connector shape on the page.
I then drop INTO that shape some electrical contacts, creating a group shape.
The electrical contacts have connection points on them to facilitate connecting wires (connectors) to them.
The problem is, when I drop these contacts into the group, the connection points disappear!
I can sub select the contact shape and look at the shapesheet and the connection points are still in there, they just don't show up in the final group shape.
If I ungroup the shape, they re-appear!
What's up with that???
what, me worry?

vojo

This used to work in 2003 with some settings in the group shape (I used to do it a lot).
But I vaguely recall that the behavior changed around visio 2010 or 2013 so that not exposed up thru
group anymore.

As I see it, you have several options
1) easiest:  Make a lot of shapes where base is different and has your connection points as appropriate (no group)
2) less easy:  You can place connections on your shape and do an action to show/hide connections globally or
    individually (DirX/A, DirY/B cells....0 to 4 sets connection point orientation, 5 to 9 sets connection point
    orientation but hides it from view....so  "if(trigger = true, 0, 5)"  kind of thing.
3) ???: could play with group ==> children first so the connection shape is on top and MAYBE shows
    the connection...I just don't know if that will work for you in all cases.
4) hardest:  VBA buddy!!!
perry59

Quote from: vojo on March 02, 2017, 06:54:48 PM
This used to work in 2003 with some settings in the group shape (I used to do it a lot).
But I vaguely recall that the behavior changed around visio 2010 or 2013 so that not exposed up thru
group anymore.

As I see it, you have several options
1) easiest:  Make a lot of shapes where base is different and has your connection points as appropriate (no group)
2) less easy:  You can place connections on your shape and do an action to show/hide connections globally or
    individually (DirX/A, DirY/B cells....0 to 4 sets connection point orientation, 5 to 9 sets connection point
    orientation but hides it from view....so  "if(trigger = true, 0, 5)"  kind of thing.
3) ???: could play with group ==> children first so the connection shape is on top and MAYBE shows
    the connection...I just don't know if that will work for you in all cases.
4) hardest:  VBA buddy!!!
well,
#1 is out of the question
#2 really wont work either, the connection points need to be part of the contact group
#3 tried subselecting the contact shape and "bring to front", didn't work :(
#4 vb.net actually

Thanks
what, me worry?

wapperdude

Hi Perry99,

I believe you're running V2007?  Same as me.  I was not able to replicate your problem.

What I did was create a large square, added some connection points, made it semi-transparent, made it a group.  Saved to a stencil as LgSq.  Made a smaller, square, added connection points.  Saved to same stencil.  Manually dragged the LgSq to the drawing page.  Likewise the LilSq, centering it on top of the LqSq.  Then, tried manually grouping and VBA grouping, i.e., add to group.  In both cases I see the connection points of the inner, LilSq.

I assume you've been doing the drag/drop/grouping via code.  Have you tried doing the steps by hand?  Also, you might want to try my simple test above, to see if the problem is a Visio setting or possible a shape issue.  Perhaps a corruption???

Can you upload a small test case that we can check?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

Quote from: wapperdude on March 02, 2017, 08:50:20 PM
Hi Perry99,

I believe you're running V2007?  Same as me.  I was not able to replicate your problem.

What I did was create a large square, added some connection points, made it semi-transparent, made it a group.  Saved to a stencil as LgSq.  Made a smaller, square, added connection points.  Saved to same stencil.  Manually dragged the LgSq to the drawing page.  Likewise the LilSq, centering it on top of the LqSq.  Then, tried manually grouping and VBA grouping, i.e., add to group.  In both cases I see the connection points of the inner, LilSq.

I assume you've been doing the drag/drop/grouping via code.  Have you tried doing the steps by hand?  Also, you might want to try my simple test above, to see if the problem is a Visio setting or possible a shape issue.  Perhaps a corruption???

Can you upload a small test case that we can check?

Wapperdude

Yes, I am running 2007, and yes I was doing the dropping/grouping in code.
if I just drag these items off a stencil and group them, it works as expected. The connection points remain visible.
However, its no longer an issue as I am taking a different approach. rather than dropping my terminal shapes INTO a connector shape (which was already a group) I am now dropping them on the page (but on top of the connector) and them grouping them all together. The connection point remain and I get a more sensible group anyway which consists of a connector back shell, terminals and ground blocks.
Thanks!
Perry
what, me worry?

vojo

ah....no. 13 in my diatribe of "how MS screwed the pooch RE visio 2013

Cant make connection points show up until actually try to connect something.
So got to stumble around in the dark.

So so far nothing to do with your drawing...cant even see them on a single shape until you try to connect

Another beautiful feature brought to by our friends at MS