Identify text by the property

Started by ready4data, February 21, 2017, 07:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ready4data

I want to change the font in just the first line of text in the shape.
I'm using the following code to change the fill of the shape and the font color.
The text is contained in the Prop.Name field of the Shape Data.
    Dim pg As Visio.Page
    Dim shp As Visio.Shape
    Dim oShpChar As Visio.Characters

For Each pg In ActiveDocument.Pages
        For Each shp In pg.Shapes
        Set oShpChar = shp.Characters
            ' cellexists test is necessary to avoid links and other shapes without data
                 'Debug.Print shp.CellsU("Prop.Color_Code").ResultStr(0)
            If shp.CellExists("Prop.Color_Code", False) Then
                Select Case shp.CellsU("Prop.Color_Code").ResultStr(0)
                    Case "Red"
                        shp.CellsU("FillForegnd").Formula = visRed
                        shp.CellsU("FillBkgnd").Formula = visRed
                        oShpChar.CharProps(visCharacterColor) = 1
                 'I want to do something like the line below.
                        'shp.CellsU("Prop.Name").FontSize = 10
                    Case "Blue"
                        shp.CellsU("FillForegnd").Formula = visBlue
                        shp.CellsU("FillBkgnd").Formula = visBlue
                    Case "Green"
                        shp.CellsU("FillForegnd").Formula = visGreen
                        shp.CellsU("FillBkgnd").Formula = visGreen
                    Case Else
                        shp.CellsU("FillForegnd").Formula = visGray
                        shp.CellsU("FillBkgnd").Formula = visGray
                End Select
            End If
        Next
    Next

Is there a way to do this?
Scott

wapperdude

How are you entering the text for display?  How are you creating multiple rows?

Which version of Visio, can you upload a sample...vs preferred file format.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ready4data

Thanks for replying.
The text comes from a spreadsheet with 4 columns Name, ReportsTo, Title, and Color_Code
The org chart is then created through automation (vba) using a MS Access database.
The code above to change the colors is in Visio 2010 right now but will be moved to the Access code once its finalized.
In the attached file, place OrgTestSample.xlsx in the root of the C drive. This is where the Access code is looking for it.
Open up Access and click the create button. The chart gets created and applies the colors. I want to be able to modify the font size of the first line in the shape (Prop.Name)for the red shapes.

Scott

ready4data

Yacine,
I looked at the code and downloaded the attachments. I didn't see anything there related to changing the font size of a particular line of text. ("Prop.Name") item in my case.
It all looked like it was relating to adding text. If I ran the code it just placed some red text behind the object.
Let me know if I'm missing something.

Scott

wapperdude

The purpose of the example was to show how to easily add/omit text and how to easily format it.  It did not address how to initially grab the text from some data source.  Presumably, that's already solved.

For example, prop.name might be the 1st shape.  You can:
   1) preset all formatting prior to data entry
   2) manually format after data entry
   3) modify program to make desired formats when prop.name is placed
   4) modify all appropriate shapesheet to detect when prop.name is placed as text, and adjust necessary shapesheet cells.  This can be problematical for a variety of reasons.

HTH,
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

What I intended to say was that is makes more sense to handle text fields in separate sub-shapes than trying to split it afterwards. Your first line of text is somewhere a separate field. Keep it so and make the labelling accordingly.
Yacine

ready4data

Thanks for your replies. I still don't understand how to select just the first line of text I need to change.
I'll keep Googleing

Scott

wapperdude

Can you upload an example?  VSD format preferred.  That will help with clarifying things and get us all on the same page.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ready4data

All the files are attached in my second post. They are Visio2010. I can down invert them next week
Scott

wapperdude

I think I understand.  Basically, you need to 1st find a shape that has a given property, e.g., prop.name.  Then you need to determine what shape receives the prop.name value.  That is, what shape is dependent on the prop.name?  This will be a sub shape of the shape containing prop.name.

The newer Visio versions have a cells dependent property in their object model, see Cell.Dependents Property (Visio), https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff767522.aspx.  Don't know if this goes back to Visio10.

Another approach would be to grab the prop.name text string, then iterate thru the shapes...including subshapes...compare the text strings for a match.

There are posts in the forum re searching subshapes.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

I know its not an answer to the question, but definitely a solution for the problem. Sorry for coming so late with it - I'm getting forgetful.
Make sure in your configuration to leave the fields separated (title and other fields not merged in one field). Then use the tool shown here: http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6318.msg25957#msg25957 .
Now select the title sub-shape and format it to whatever you like.
Yacine

wapperdude

For sake of completeness,  the attached shows how to find desired text and do some formatting.  Note, the code "hard copies" the data property identity, e.g., Prop.name in this case.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

Here's an alternate version.  Since it is only the first line that is being changed, then, putting everything into a single shape is actually easier than the multiple subshape approach.  Attached is code with example.

Note:  The assumption is that any text formatting, e.g. bold, etc, has been uniformly applied to all text.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ready4data

Sorry, I have been away. Thanks for looking. I will check it out on Monday.
Scott