Linking shapes to shapes on different pages

Started by ThirdDimension, February 17, 2017, 10:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThirdDimension

Can someone help me out with how to link a shape on one page to a shape on another page.  This will be same document.

Thanks 3rd D

Surrogate

What you mean as link to shape on different page ?
Hyperlink or something else...

wapperdude

Ha, ha...Surrogate beat me...

However, if your asking about shape properties, check this link...https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/ff768760.aspx

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

ThirdDimension

Maybe you guys have another way.  Here is what I am trying to do. 

I use a background page with no scale (1 = 1).
The background page serves as my title page, and has into such as name, date, revision, and scale
other pages in the doc use this background page, but are not the same the scale as background page. 
I might have 3 different scales in on doc.

I want the correct page scale to show correctly on each page, but as the page size changes, I want the data to appear in the same spot on all pages. 

wapperdude

Unfortunately, that can't happen.  Haven't found a way to use Title Block on background page and access drawing page properties.  If you drop a title block on the drawing page, then it will collect the scale info.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

@Yacine:  Brilliant!
@Wapperdude:  Oh dear me, you're getting forgetful!

The last post entry by Joe7712 should do what you want.  Joe7712 creates a list in the shapesheet of the background page, called User.List.  Couple things to be aware of: 
  1)  The index entries must be hard coded for each page as there's still the bug-a-boo about Pages[Page-1] that doesn't accept parameters.
  That is, the "A", "B" in User.List must be a literal reference, e.g., Pages[Page-76]!ThePage!PageScale
  2)  I find it easier, less confusing to add a user row entry for each page:  e.g., User.Pg1, with value:  Pages[Page-1]!Thepage!Pagescale
  3)  Also, I add format statement: Format(Pages[Page-1]!Thepage!Pagescale, "0.00 u").  Otherwise, inches will translate to ", and that creates havoc.
  4)  The format of the user.list entry changes to something like:  ="NULL;"&User.Pg1&";"&User.Pg2&";null"  
  5)  The Joe shape uses Index function to grab the desired page entry.  See Text Fields section of shapesheet.  This formula can be edited directly, or via Insert>Fields>Custom.  Note, I added a reference to "Joe7712" to give him credit.

See attached file. 

Wapperdude.
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Quote from: wapperdude on February 18, 2017, 04:13:54 PM
@Wapperdude:  Oh dear me, you're getting forgetful!
It's even worse with me. I only remembered having done it, but not how (nor even why ;) )
Guess this won't get any better. That's just the wheel of life.
Yacine

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro