Export to AutoCad with background

Started by davidgon, February 15, 2017, 02:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidgon

Hello!

I have a document in Visio which have some background pages, so the main page is the background and the drawing of that page. I want to export all to AutoCad. The problem is that the background is not exported. How could I solve it? Any idea?

Thanks!

Surrogate

i haven't ideas ! because you can export to dwg only one page, without their backgroung pages.

Yacine

Make the macro go to the background, select everything (hidden layers will not be copied), group, copy and paste at the same coordinates on the foreground page, push the shape to the background and do the export. Once the export finished you can delete the copy of the background and ungroup the shapes on the background page again.

The commands necessary for accomplishing this operations can be recorded by the macro recorder, you'll just need to replace the specific IDs by generic shape IDs.
Yacine

wapperdude

I'm lazier than Yacine, so rather than macro, do it manually...all the same steps  Yacine gives.

Go to background page, do <cntl> + A, to select all, group the shapes, then copy.  Go to drawing page, paste and send to back.  Now export.  Do remaining steps given by Yacine.

But, if you plan to do this for multiple background pages, it might be more efficient to create a macro.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

@Wayne,
yes, but in your scenario you need to define the coordinates of the background shape group first: draw a shape (any - as long as it is bottom left centred) in the left bottom corner of your drawing, then group the whole thing. This way you can past the backgroud at the rigth place.  ;)
Yacine

wapperdude

@Yacine:

Good point.  Guess my perspective was two old habits...the backgrounds I usually copy are both page centered to begin with, and usually go border to border of the background page.  Thus, they always paste correct position by default.  But, not a big deal.  With the size & position window open, after grouping, note the X-, Y- position.  Then after pasting, re-enter those coordinates in the S&P.  Easy.  Everything is where it needs to be.   But, yeah, could need extra minimal step to "re-center".

Thanks for making that point.  I did overlook it.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro