Map Line Shape

Started by telengr, February 11, 2017, 07:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

telengr

REV1: Added Scale Adjustment to the Mapline

I designed this object so that I could create paths on maps in Visio. The Mapline object provides a total distance Note and another Distance Note that can be moved along the line.  I am not a true programmer so there may be circumstances where this Mapline may behave in in an unexpected manner however it should be safe since it uses only Shapesheet programming.  And as always use this tool at your own risk.

MAPLINE:  When you drop the Mapline onto your drawing a dialog box is displayed. Select OK to ungroup the objects.  The Mapline behaves like and can be manipulated like any line object. 

MAPLINE NOTE:  The Mapline Note contains a Section Name and the total length of the Mapline.  The Mapline Note can be moved by grabbing the yellow handle and will align itself to the nearest point on the Mapline.  The Mapline Note length properties can be changed in the same manner as a dimension line. The Mapline Note Section Name can only be edited in the SHAPE DATA window.

DISTANCE NOTE: A Distance note is attached to the Mapline and indicates the distance from the beginning of the Mapline to the Distance Note.  The Distance Note can be moved by grabbing its yellow handle and will align itself to the nearest point on the Mapline.  Additional Distance Notes can be added to the Mapline by copying and pasting the original Distance Note.  If all of the Distance Notes on a Mapline are deleted they cannot be added back except by using the UNDO command.

MAPLINE SCALE ADJUSTMENT: If the map you are using is not at real world scale, you can adjust the Scale Factor of the Mapline.
1. Measure a known distance on your map using a line or the mapline itself.
2. Enter the measured distance into SHAPE DATA/Measured Length.
3. Enter the known distance into SHAPE DATA/Actual Length.

Additional Mapline + Distance Notes can be added to the drawing by dragging the master from the SHAPES window or by copying and pasting the Mapline and Distance Note together.

wapperdude

New location so it doesn't get lost.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro