Reverse a curve?

Started by Nikolay, January 15, 2017, 08:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolay

Hi guys,

I've got a simple question - how can I reverse a line (curve) in Visio?
For example, I have a line A => B, but I actually want it to be B => A. How do I do that?
See the picture - the line should go "down", but actually it's going "up". I want to reverse it.

I haven't found anything like "reverse" in shape operations.
Redrawing the line from scratch is not an option - it's pretty complex.

Any help? Thank you in advance!

Nikolay

Found a way. First use "Trim" operation, then select the fragments in proper order, and use "Join".

wapperdude

Not sure I understand, and the picture didn't help too much.

So, you've drawn a squiggely line from point A to point B.  You want an identical line, but, it should have gone from point B to point A.  Is that correct?  So, merely flipping it, isn't the solution because the line is now mirrored.  And changing line ends isn't what is desired either.

I didn't understand your stated solution, so I played with it for awhile.  I came up with something that works, uses trim and join operations, but, a few more steps than your solution implies.  See attached.  Fasicinating.  Would never have suspected that this would work.  Very nice discovery Nikolay.

Wapperdude.

Visio 2019 Pro

JuneTheSecond

Though I am not sure if I got your mind exactly,
shape.ReverseEnds method replaces the end points of a simple line,
or for NURBS curve Operations/Join (in VBA selection.Join) reverses the direction of a curve.
Best Regards,

Junichi Yoda
http://june.minibird.jp/

wapperdude

Well that's simple.  Thanks June The Second!

I think that's what Nikolay was after, guess we'll find out.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

I didn't understand your stated solution, so I played with it for awhile.  I came up with something that works, uses trim and join operations, but, a few more steps than your solution implies.  See attached.  Fasicinating.  Would never have suspected that this would work.  Very nice discovery Nikolay.

Thanks Wapperdude!
Thats exactly the method I also finally used :)

I did not know about shape.ReverseEnds, otherwise it would have saved me a lot of time, thanks Junichi!

I was actually building ski slopes:
https://nbelyh.github.io/svgpublishdemo/stuhlek.html

Yacine

Yacine

Nikolay

Yes! Correct, that's exactly it!

And now you can have those svg/css animations from visio export (you can define directly in diagram, but will require some extra css code). .I plan to post later how to incorporate that easily!

wapperdude

@Nikolay, @Yacine, @Junichi:  makes me want to un-retire so I have a reason to use these cool features!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Quote from: wapperdude on January 16, 2017, 04:05:46 PM
@Nikolay, @Yacine, @Junichi:  makes me want to un-retire so I have a reason to use these cool features!

Wapperdude

You wouldn't believe it, but I do understand you.
One needs challenge to develop stuff.
Yacine

wapperdude

Uhmmmm...dare I ask what happened to your avatar?  It went AWOL!  I've got extra light bulbs... ;D
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

hmmm ... not on my screen.
???
Yacine

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

@Yacine:  It shows up on my Android based tablet, but not on my Windows PC.  Don't seem to have issues with any other Avatars.  Guess you're special!   ???
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine