Linking Visio Design Diagram to Existing Excel workbook

Started by BLT, January 03, 2017, 10:22:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLT

Hi all

I'm trying to solve the following problem - I have two distinct documents:

• A Visio tool that enables me to model/design various solutions from standard components using a document stencil.  Each component I drag to the design pops up a shape properties dialogue, which should be completed as part of the design process, as the properties are required for the solution specification to be complete
  • An Excel workbook that I use to drive solution cost.  This workbook has many linked formulas as it drives different cost/resource calculations from the data input

What I'd like to be able to do is take the output from the shape properties and put that output in specific cells of a worksheet in the existing workbook - thereby automating the cost/resource calculation based on the drawn design.

A final step would be to perform some basic arithmetic function on the properties from the shapes before putting the output in the cell - so if I have 5 shapes in a design with a common numeric property, sum the 5 values and put the result in the Excel cell

Any feedback/guidance/help would be most appreciated, even if to say what I'm trying to achieve isn't possible.  I understand Shape reports, and this is not appropriate for this use case

Many thanks
./Brett