Can't delete cropped area of image

Started by Jennifer, January 02, 2017, 04:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jennifer

I regularly use Visio to edit and annotate graphic images that I then paste into Word. One of the edits I frequently use is cropping. And to save space, I delete the cropped areas.

This works most of the time, but occasionally, some images have the Compress Picture icon greyed out. In fact, the entire Adjust section of the Format tab is greyed out. As far as I can tell, I am pasting those images into Visio in the same way as any of the others.

Any suggestions as to why some are not compressable?

If I paste the image into IrfanView and then paste that into Visio, then I can compress it.  :-???
Using Visio 2019, part of Office 365 on Windows 10

vojo

I am pretty sure crop just "hides" a region of the image.
In my experience, it never deletes a region...aka

2013 on W7 does NOT allow you to delete cropped areas
(crop a picture....then crop and bring back all content....delete does nothing

Jennifer

Quote from: vojo on January 02, 2017, 11:08:49 PM
I am pretty sure crop just "hides" a region of the image.
In my experience, it never deletes a region...aka

2013 on W7 does NOT allow you to delete cropped areas
(crop a picture....then crop and bring back all content....delete does nothing

Yes, I know that the crop tool only hides part of the image. That's why I said that I then click on the Format tab and then the Compress picture icon in the Adjust section. That brings up the Format picture dialog, which has, on the Compression tab, as I said, an option to Delete cropped areas of pictures.

I've done it hundreds of times in the past. Bit for some reason, it is not working on a lot of images, including ones that I am sure it used to work on.

RudySchneider

I use Visio to crop images before pasting them into Word documents as well.  Rather than copying and pasting directly, you could save the cropped image as a JPEG, which you can then import into word.  The cropped areas will be gone.
There are no problems, only opportunities

Jennifer

Quote from: RudySchneider on January 03, 2017, 12:54:30 AM
I use Visio to crop images before pasting them into Word documents as well.  Rather than copying and pasting directly, you could save the cropped image as a JPEG, which you can then import into word.  The cropped areas will be gone.

That probably works, but requires creating a separate file. Here's another way that also works:

• First, paste the image into IrfanView (IV). It's a free image editor.
  • The IV cropping tool is far easier to use than Visio's. Just draw a rectangle around the image. You don't even need to use the cropping functions (Ctrl+Y & Ctrl+Shift+Y) unless you are going to save it as a file.
  • Copy the image to the clipboard (Ctrl+C).
  • If you don't care whether the image will be visible in Word in Draft mode, then just paste it into the Word document.
  • If you want it to be visible in both Page mode and Draft mode, then paste it into Visio first (no additional cropping needed) and then copy that to the clipboard and paste into Word.
It's great that Microsoft only makes their booby traps one or two levels deep so we can get around them with one or two workarounds.  :P

Thanks

vojo

irfanview is a great tool!!!  Lots of features.
I got it when playing with sketchup....irfanview stayed in my toolbox....sketchup didn't ;-)