The joys of old software, and a question on crashes

Started by Thack, December 24, 2016, 10:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thack

Dear Colleagues,

I've been using Visio for almost twenty years, since V5.0.  I've faithfully upgraded when each new version came out (although I missed Visio 2007).  I began to feel a bit less satisfied with it as Microsoft updated it, and in particular I think the first versions with the ribbon control were a step backwards.

Don't misunderstand me - I'm actually a big fan of the ribbon and love it in Word, Excel, et al, but it really didn't seem to fit that well with Visio.  My preferred layout in the older versions was to have lots of toolbars showing at the top, giving me one-click access to almost all the functions.  The ribbon just meant many more mouse clicks, as far as I was concerned.

Anyway, yesterday I was using Visio 2013 and dreaming wistfully of the pre-ribbon days, when I decided to dig out my copy of Visio 2003 Pro and see if it would run in Windows 10.

And what a joy it is!  I'd forgotten what a fine piece of software that version was.  Super-fast, extremely customisable, and with toolbars rather than the ribbon control.  I spent a happy hour customising everything and re-familiarising myself with it.

Now, I have two questions:

Firstly, what do you guys think of Visio 2007, the version I missed?  Is it like 2003, but better?  Is it worth me trying to find a copy?

Secondly, Visio 2003 seems to work perfectly in Windows 10 except for one thing: every time I close the program it crashes, saying "Microsoft Office Visio has stopped working...".   Of course it doesn't actually matter much, because I'm closing it anyway.  The nuisance arises because it then helpfully tries to restart Visio, so I have to hit the Cancel key to stop that.

I've tried running in in compatibility mode for XP SP3, and I've tried "Run as Administrator", but neither made a difference.  I've also checked my computer's DEP setting, and it is set for "Essential Windows services only". 

So, has anyone else experienced this strange crash on exiting Visio 2003?  Is there a know cure or workaround?  (One other small clue is that it won't remember the Tools | Customise | Options | Always show full menus setting.)

Many thanks,
Steve

Nikolay

Regarding the crash - if you have 2013 and 2003 both installed (?), this 2013 update may be the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2767916
Uninstalling that update fixed odd problems with 2007 and 2013 installed on the same computer for me and many others.
2003 uses similar registration as 2007, so you can give it a try.

Regarding 2007 itself - it's okay, runs fine on Windows 10. Make sure you install SP3 though.
From what the 2003 version did not have, it has data graphics / linking to data (if you care about that).

From the other side, 2003 was the last version to support for example both Reverse and Forward database engineering.

Paul Herber

My Visio 2010 crashes whenever my laptop goes to sleep. Just starting Visio so it is either at the start screen or with a new blank document, then closing the laptop lid so it sleeps, then open it again (either a minute later or 24 hours later) and Visio has crashed. It didn't used to do this, so it must have been a recent software update. No other software I ever use does anything like that! The ribbon is a whole leap backwards.
0/10
Electronic and Electrical engineering, business and software stencils for Visio -

https://www.paulherber.co.uk/

Thack

Quote from: Nikolay on December 24, 2016, 01:46:26 PM
Regarding the crash - if you have 2013 and 2003 both installed (?), this 2013 update may be the issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2767916
Uninstalling that update fixed odd problems with 2007 and 2013 installed on the same computer for me and many others.
2003 uses similar registration as 2007, so you can give it a try.

Thank you for replying, Nikolay.

Interestingly my PC doesn't have that update installed, so I guess I can't blame that for the glitch.  I have Office 2016 installed, and it must remain that way until I finish my university course in May.  I installed Visio 2003 after Office 2016, which of course is the wrong order to do things.  I wonder if that may be something to do with the problem.  I don't want to just assume that, though, without asking you guys, who are far more experienced with Visio than I am.

I hate using Office 2016.  I think the flat, monochrome, everything-touch-sized UI design in Office 2016 (and 2013) is incredibly ugly and, frankly, much more difficult to use than Office 2010, which I think is the very best version ever.  I actually like the Ribbon, at least for Word and Excel, but now that they've removed almost every vestige of colour and made the symbols crude and blocky I find myself hunting for the required control a lot more.  Also, they've resized various bits to make room for the collaboration features implemented in 2013 and more so in 2016, and as a solitary user I have no use for them.

So, as soon as my course is finished Office 2016 will be flushed out of my PC and 2010 will be reinstalled.  I'll probably start again, installing Visio 2003 (or 2007) first, then Office 2010.

Thanks again for your reply.

Thack

So, can I take it that the crash-when-closing thing is not a known problem, but something specific to my set up?

Just to summarise: Visio 2003 in W10 runs OK, but when closing it pops up a message saying:

"Microsoft Office Visio has stopped working"  ("Windows is checking for a solution" in smaller text).

I won't bump this any more after this message.

wapperdude

As an FYI, I have V2007 and Office 2010.  Both coexist peaceably.  As I recall, V2007 had to install 1st, but not sure about that.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

David.P

Just coming back here to say that I didn't have any problems running Visio 2003 on Windows 10 for years in coexistence with Office 2013, 2016, and now with Office 2019.

Only recently however, Visio 2003 has started to re-configure itself when starting, which looks similar to this, only with "2003" instead of "2013":

...and in doing so breaking little bits and pieces of Office 2019.

Usually, there is a workaround known as "NoReReg" for this, however this does not seem to work with Visio, even when the NoReReg entry is added to the Registry at
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Options

...for example by running the command:
reg add HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Visio\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Any ideas how to stop Visio 2003 reconfiguring/repairing itself would be appreciated!
Visio 2003 for production
Visio 2019

vojo

in general, Visio has devolved from 2003 (new bugs, new wonky functions, etc.)
I wouldn't be surprised of Microsoft is forcing pain to ween users off 2003 and buy new stuff...same as skype in teams.

Nikolay

Quote from: David.P on March 10, 2020, 01:55:54 PM
Just coming back here to say that I didn't have any problems running Visio 2003 on Windows 10 for years in coexistence with Office 2013, 2016, and now with Office 2019.

Have you tried uninstalling that KB? It still works for me.
Please note that it gets re-installed again with every major Windows update (like "creators update" or "fall update"), even if you disabled it.

David.P

Thanks Nikolay!

I had a look at your advice over there:
QuoteTry uninstalling this update: KB2767916 "Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites"
Windows Update -> Installed Updates -> Select this item -> Uninstall.

For me, this magically fixed the problem with Visio 2007 and Visio 2013 install on the same machine (and Visio 2007 crashing or constantly reinstalling).

However, I don't seem to have the KB2767916 update that you mention installed in the first place. That update also seems to be removed from its original location, and moved over here (but not downloadable either).

The only Office updates I can locate on my PC are:

• Security Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 32-Bit Edition (KB3203438);
  • Update for Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 3 32-Bit Edition (KB4011064); and
  • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 32-Bit Edition (KB2881030).

I don't even have Office 2010 installed anymore, so I probably shall try and uninstall the latter.

Thanks for any further ideas how to stop Visio 2003 from re-registering.
Visio 2019

Nikolay

Somehow I end up always having this KB in the list of the installed updates...

It's kind of strange that you have only 3 updates... For me, there are like millions of those  ;D
On Windows 10, you can see them in the "old" UI (when you open "Uninstall Updates" snap-in)...

Another idea. When Windows Installer starts, it always writes a diagnostic message in the event log stating the reason (like, "component XXX not registered" or whatever)
Maybe you could check the event log for the installer events?

David.P

Sorry for not having answered earlier. Somehow I wasn't notified by the forum.

I shall try your advice and then report back.
Visio 2019

David.P

Just for the record, on my main PC I now have uninstalled Office 2016 completely, and instead installed Office 365.

It seems that the Office/Visio 2003 and Office 365 installation methods finally are technically so different that Office 365 doesn't even recognize that another Office version (Office/Visio 2003) is still installed -- luckily.

At least it seems that they run perfectly side-by-side together (at the same time, on the same PC). Fingers crossed
Visio 2019

Hey Ken

Folks:

I've been catching up on all the posts I've missed over the last six months that I've been away, and I had to weigh in on this one.

I've been using Visio 2003 at home since, well, about 2003.  Still works like a champ on Windows 10, 7, XP, and ME, although I do occasionally notice the absence of one handy new feature or another.  I did have it residing alongside Visio 2019 for a while too, but never noticed any issues.  Never saw any of the problems being reported, even though it's been installed on every new laptop I've bought since 2003.  In fact, I just used it last month to build the cover of my latest novel,  No Dogs on Mars – A Starship Story (attached). 

I hear 2007 is better, but I do like my Visio 2003.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com