Floor plans and room contents

Started by RobJ, December 01, 2016, 11:55:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobJ

I have a floor plan for a facility and have added in shapes to represent equipment, benches, etc. Some shapes are just boxes made with the drawing tool, some are from stencils bought in, some are from the Visio Pro stencils All the shapes are on a single layer. I want to be able to export the data about each shape (height, width, text), but I also want to be able to export the room name that they are located in at the same time, to generate an excel sheet that would have 'room name', 'item name', 'item width', 'item length' as headings. Each room has a space shape associated with it, added in after the rooms have been placed in position.
I am working with Visio 2013 in Windows 7.
Does anyone have a suggestion about how I could do this, please?

Yacine

Hi Rob,
1) A floating dialog (non-modal) would help defining all the shapes to be listed as such. It would add the required custom properties to the selected (or clicked) shapes.
2) It would make sense to automate the recognition of where the shape is placed (room). Either the space shapes are defined as containers, or the spatial neighborhood of the rooms would be used to recognize this relationship.
A manual input is possible as well.
3) You would define a report that extracts these data from the shapes an put them in a list.

Steps 1 and 2 would require some VBA coding. I don't know your level of expertise.

HTH,
Y.
Yacine

RobJ

Hi Yacine,
I have bumbled around with VBA in Excel, so could probably follow instruction, but I don't have enough expertise to take what you have said and implement, unfortunately. I do recognise what you mean, though! Both step 1 and 2 sound useful. Mind you, I am having trouble exporting to an excel Database at the moment, I keep getting an ODBC error, so even step 3 might be a problem!
Do you know of a website I could use to get me started with 1 and 2, or are you able to give a bit more detail?
Thanks
Rob

wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

RobJ

Thanks Wapperdude, that's just what I was looking for. I've worked out how to set the Shape Data in VBA and seen how to see if two shapes overlap, so it shouldn't be too hard to determine which shapes are in contact with which spaces and add this into the report (although I suspect the Space planner can do something along those lines)

Rob

Yacine

Yacine

RobJ

Almost! I have the equipment labelled as assets and have copied the shape data fields. I have started the space plan and now have items related to the rooms they are in and using the report can get the data into a spreadsheet. However, I have done this before I finished completing the equipment layout and using Ctrl drag and drop means that I have various items in rooms that are still shown as 'belonging to' the room I copied them from. I can't seem to find a simple update or refresh method, any clues?