Inserted Excel objects do no update unless double clicked.

Started by MrBungle, November 26, 2016, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrBungle

Hi there,

I am using visio 2016 with windows 7.

Can anyone shed some light as to why an inserted excel object won't update in my drawing?

Throughout my visio workbook i have a few lists.  Some are linked to actual excel workbooks in a folder, and some are just stand-alone inserted objects.  If the data changes in these (whether thru editing and saving the external excel workbook, or changing excel object via a macro) it doesn't show up unti li either save the workbook, or double click to open the object.

This didn't happen when i had visio 2010.   Everything use to automatically update or refresh to reflect any immediate changes.

Yacine

Google is your friend: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5391438/update-embedded-excel-file-programmatically
Pitty enough a well working feature is not working anymore. You'll probably have to think about how to trigger a refreshing routine (opening and closing the workbook).
An action row in excel shape, a double click on the page, a timer, ... endless possibilities.
Yacine

MrBungle

your google fu is clearly superior to mine. ;D  I wasn't getting the right results for "embedded excel object not updating in visio" or similar searches.

I have it working (for now)..  I rebuilt the table from my previous thread (BOM Generator) using a new excel object and it seems to happily update itself when i double click the shape.  Scratch that,  no longer working.

And I still run into this problem with linked excel objects.

The trend i'm noticing is that if it's a newly inserted excel object (linked or embedded), it'll update/refresh changes instantly.  Whether the object is changing thru a macro, or if i'm working on the actual linked excel sheet.

If i save and close the visio document and come back to work on it at a later date, the object no longer refresh and require a whole ritual of saving, re-saving, opening the object, resave again, exit, etc etc, for the damn thing to update properly in visio.    >:(

It's a serious pain when i think it's finished and then i print or send it off only to find the list is outdated.  As I mentioned, never used to happen in visio 2010.

I tried to do a method at the end of the BOM generator macro where it would open the object and close it again as a sort of nudge to work.  I couldn't get the method right tho.
something along the lines of activepage.shapes.activate or .calculate But i couldn't get it to parse.  (I can vba but i'm no expert).

I seen near the end of that link you posted that the code someone posted for "nudging" the excel object to update apparently doesn't work all the time either.

Is this just a "thing" visio does now?