Dragging shape visual degredation options

Started by qholmes, November 09, 2016, 08:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qholmes

My more complex shapes switch to a box when I move them which really sucks as I am trying to line up things with other shapes. Is there some way to control what is shown?
Even if I could have most of it disappear but still have the main shape box and the connection boxes that would be way better.
Thanks for any help!

Q

qholmes

Here is an update to this and what I have learned... Visio used to have a 25 shape cut off for creating a Drag shape (what you see when you are moving something) Now it is 50.. I tested by making simple lines and after a group of 50 it pauses before making the drag shape.. I would like this to be adjustable if possible..

But I did learn that If you are dragging multiple shapes or a complex group (that number more than 50) and you pause for a second.... it creates the drag shape.

I also had strange drag shape creation when I was zoomed in.. not sure why.

Visio 2010

Thanks

Q

Yacine

Many years ago I got upset by the very same problem. So I wrote a small routine to move shapes as CAD software does.
I did a quick search, but could not find my old solution. The essence was that you had a 1D-shape (basically a vecotr) to drop on your drawing. You would then have pinned the beginning to the source point and the end to the target position. A double click then did move the shapes from the source position to the target one.
The problem: I don't recall how I did solve the issue of having several shapes to move. May be I did remember what the "move" shape was, then collected all the select shapes to move to the target point.
This is not a direct answer to your question, but a possible way to solve your problem.

Cheers,
Y.
Yacine

qholmes

Thanks I will have a think on that..

Finding out that if I pause for a second... actually makes it not too bad.. but it is very strange regardless.

Q

Yacine

I rewrote the tool.
Have a try.
(Load the stencil and drag the shape on the drawing)
Yacine

qholmes

Thanks that is pretty cool.

I will see how it incorporates into the workflow.

Q

Yacine

I just did recall why I did not use the tool anymore.
I opted for a big use of the grid in Visio. I fixed the size of all shapes to one standard size (whether needed or not - both smaller and bigger shapes got boundaries that fit in the grid).
The dynamic grid was replaced by a fixed one to the dimensions of the standard size.
In the catch options, I increased the grid factor to its maximum over other factors.
So when we draw, we take attention to stay in the grid and when we move bigger groups it is easy to stay in it.

HTH,
Yacine
Yacine

qholmes

That sounds interesting. Is there any chance you would have a drawing that you could share to show me exactly what you mean? I have a conveyor track type object and different instruments that attach to it.. but I have had no luck getting anything to Snap or glue to the track. Maybe using the grid somehow would be better.. not sure

Q

Yacine

Here you are.
Yacine