Line tool minimum BeginArrowSize too large

Started by snuuba, November 05, 2016, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snuuba

Anyway to make line tool begin / end arrow size even smaller than standard "very small"?

According to Visio documentation you can specify the size in shapesheet with BeginArrowSize and EndArrowSize. Valid values are between 0 (very small) and 6 (colossal).

I would like to have few sizes smaller begin/end arrows for lines. I am using line tool for wiring diagrams for IT gear and some adapter card shapes have such small "ports" that even "very small" arrow begin/end will overlap two "ports"

vojo

create your own line ends.

Plenty of doc...but generally
- open drawing navigator
- right click line ends ==> new
- name it <something cool>
- go back to drawing
- make whatever line end you want
- copy
- drawing navigator ==> lineend==> open <something cool>
- paste
- save

To use
- draw a line
- format ==> line
- I think its in the line start and end panels.

snuuba

snuuba

Experimented with custom line ends. You can also include text in line begin/end arrows, but the catch seems to be that the text has to be a shape rather than character / font. Already found "alphabet" stencil, still looking stencil which contains numbers as shapes.

snuuba

Hey Ken

Snubba:

Welcome to the forum!  And thanks for bringing up the idea of turning characters into Visio shapes.  It gave me the inspiration for solving a completely-unrelated issue I've been facing.  You da man!  (Da woman?  ;- )

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

snuuba

Thanks, I guess I am da man :)

Here is link to resulting: stencil

Stencil contains color coded "wires" for documenting IT environments. Each cable is further coded with different line ends (speed/type, etc). I use the stencil to document mostly NetApp installations, but there are pretty generic cables, ethernet, fibre channel cables and such. In order to fit any text I had to use such small "font", that the text is visibile only when heavily zoomed in (400%-800%), but that is the zoom level I use any way when running cables.

I've created/modified a bunch of NetApp related stencils, complete package can be downloaded from my blog:http://dontpokethepolarbear.wordpress.com/visio-essentials-by-dptpb/