default connector

Started by perry59, October 26, 2016, 09:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

perry59

I know that if I want some different behavior from the standard dynamic connector I can just drop one on the sheet, mod it for what I want and then copy that to the document stencil and rename it "Dynamic connector".
this works just fine except for one thing. Now when I draw a connector it no longer has the "rubber band" display, i.e. I can't see where I am drawing it. It doesn't appear until the command is finished.
I assume there is no way around that so having your own default connector is rather useless.
Is this correct?
-Perry
what, me worry?

wapperdude

By drag connector you mean pull from the GUI interface?  Yes that does seem to be true...V2007.

By drag from the Doc. Stencil, then, no.  Behaves normally.  Saving custom connector to a custom stencil also works...which would make it available to other Visio files.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

First statement above may not be correct.  I added second connector to the page, and copied to Doc Stencil.  Shows up as Dynamic Connector.X, X some number.  Then renamed it to Dynamic Connector.  The original Dynamic Connector renamed to Master.0.  Deleted Master.0.  Now the GUI interface seems to work with the custom stencil. 

However, I don't recommend doing this.  There may be some unexpected side effects that are not pleasant.  Much safer to make a custom stencil or custom entry to Doc Stencil, but do not rename the Dynamic Connector.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

perry59

Quote from: wapperdude on October 26, 2016, 10:00:45 PM
By drag connector you mean pull from the GUI interface?  Yes that does seem to be true...V2007.

Wapperdude

yep, that's what I mean. if I drag it from the stencil it behaves as it should with that method, but its nice to draw "freehand" and see where you are going!
what, me worry?

perry59

yeah, I think I'll get rid of the renamed dynamic connector
what, me worry?