Copying and Pasting Connectors

Started by Bee5, October 14, 2016, 08:29:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bee5

Hi,
I would like to copy and paste a connector, with its text; but when I copy and paste it, the connector tag changes to an arbitrary number instead of the name I gave the tag. Please see attached, there must be a way to paste a connector without losing its name. When I copy and paste shapes, the shape name does not change, so what am I missing with the connectors?

JohnGoldsmith

Hi,

What stencil and template are you using?  My assumption is that the text is an inserted field and is reading other cells to get its information that includes what it's connected to.  The standard dynamic connectordoesn't behave this way - if you connector has text, then copying and pasting makes no change to the resulting text.

Best regards

John
John Goldsmith - Visio MVP
http://visualsignals.typepad.co.uk/

Bee5

I am using the process engineering template (process flow diagram), but I am not sure what you mean by stencil? I am drawing a process flow diagram for water reticulation.

metuemre

It seems that you are using Process Engineering template. The connector is actually a pipe and it is numbered automatically when it is added to the page in order to avoid tag duplicates.

If you dont want that behaviour, you need to disable it. See the attached picture.

Bee5

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
I have wasted sooooo many hours on this! You have just made my life so much easier!
You are truly a Visio Guy!

metuemre