Creating Line Patterns

Started by eman_resu, October 13, 2016, 01:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eman_resu

First poster, in need, so please play nicely. And if I am in the wrong forum them apologies...

Need your help please, on an issue which I think is probably that easy I should probably give up and return to the dark ages.

All I want to do is create a line pattern that adds a 60deg ish line 'vertically' at regular intervals, looking something like ----/------/-------/-----   (and so on. Please imagine that the horizontal line is either solid or dashed from the Format Shape area.)

I've spent all night trying to create a new line pattern, to no avail, and I've run out of hair. All I get is a line with tiny little lines only visible at 400% zoom.........

it cant be this difficult, and therefore I must be missing something obvious. I cant seem to find the alignment box and therefore cant size the pattern correctly. I'm using Visio Pro for 365

Would greatly appreciate help, guidance on this one......

Cheers

vojo

Logically its a bit bass ackwards, but
1:   Make the pattern you want...then select and copy
2:   Open the drawing explorer (you may have to enable developer mode in advanced properties and enable the menus)
3:   Under line pattersn, right click to add new (unique name, etc)
4:   apply settings you want (behaviors, etc)
5:   Open this new line pattern and past the pattern into the window
6:   Save  (should return back to the page where you made the shape in the first place)

Voila...got yourself a new patter

wapperdude

For additional information regarding line patterns, see following post which has a couple links that give good depth:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=2506.msg10960#msg10960

Between those links and Vojo's directions above, you should gain good knowledge on the topic of line patterns.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

eman_resu

Thanks both.

I'm feeling rather stupid now, I followed Vojo's instructions and also read the links in detail last night, still getting the same problem.

I think its due to the relative size of the shape (being a line that looks like this /) and size of the drawing window when I Édit Pattern Shape

I've attached a screen grab of how the Edit Pattern Drawing window looks on my system. When I've looked at the other posts the pattern always fills the drawing space so to speak, I can't seem to figure out how to make that happen......

Thanks for your help so far....

wapperdude

That's just a single line, it's not a "pattern".
Visio 2019 Pro

eman_resu

I am looking for a final line to look something like    -------/---------/----------/----------/

Without having to draw all the angled lines individually.

I've been playing with one of the Visio custom lines, and have got the following window (excuse the fact I have vertical lines on this one, I am testing the theory). This is fine except the vertical lines are too close together, in effect I think I need to extend the 'white' drawing space to the ends of the horizontal line to increase the spacing of the verticals....

wapperdude

If you want 5 or 6 or whatever dashes, then the slanted line, you have to draw that.  That is the pattern.  Then Visio will use it when it draws the line.  Whatever you put down, Visio takes that as the literal pattern and repeats it.
Visio 2019 Pro

eman_resu

Thanks Wapper

Its getting the spacing and height correct thats the problem.

So previous stencil gives a line looking like the one attached. And reading the various forums, the way to spread the vertical lines further apart is to widen the drawing area, its that part I cant seem to do.