Need help with DropCallout on Drop of Timeline Milestone

Started by FlowerGirl, September 21, 2016, 12:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerGirl

Is there a way to have a custom "Text Callout" dropped onto the page and glued to the Activity Milestone automatically when the Activity is dropped on the page?

I created a basic macro, but it looks like it is looking for unique ID's.

Our people will be dropping and removing activities from their documents based on their needs.

I choose the Custom Callout box because it give me more flexibility to move the text around to a best fit location when needed.
The standard text that comes with the milestone was to stiff and data graphics where to hard to move around.

I include a Visio test document and the Excel data for what I am attempting to do.
I am using Visio 2010 pro.

Thanks for your help.
FlowerGirl

metuemre

How about something like this? Drop an activity shape on the page and callout shape will be automatically added and glued to that shape

FlowerGirl

Thanks for the quick response.  :-*

So was I close to getting this myself?
I see your macro, and how it is called on drop.

These are some of the things I need to educate my self a little more with.

Thanks again, that was just what I was looking for.

FG.

metuemre

You are welcome  ;)

"Record Macro" is a great tool for start but in order to create a solution that will work whenever needed you need to make some modifications.

Regards

FlowerGirl

I needed to revisit this topic, I am having an issue.

Basically, I have a time line (as posted in the template by meturemre) and the text boxes come in fine with the milestone except for one problem.

For Example: If there is a milestone with a date of 5/1/2017 and another milestone with a date of 6/1/2017, they will both look good and show the respective text box that belongs to that milestone.
BUT, if the 6/1/2017 milestone gets a new date and moves to 5/1/2017 the text box for the 6/1 shape will now be reading the data from the 5/1 shape. So they will both say the same thing, the data from the 5/1 shape.

Is there a way to keep this from happening. can the textbox somehow get locked down so this won't keep happening.

Thanks for your help as always.
FlowerGirl.

wapperdude

Do you have simple example to upload?  Hard to tell what you're doing.  Using standard Visio timeline shapes, cannot replicate the problem....V2007

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

FlowerGirl

I am using the .vsd and the excel from this post string

FG