brandyph

It's not there... 2010 Standard does not have Shape Data option

brandyph

brandyph

Yacine

Yacine

Yacine

Hi brandyph,
just uploaded a small tool to get data displayed on shapes. Hope you can use it.
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=7461
Yacine

brandyph

Thank you so much, but I'm not allow to upload anything to office computers.  I was trying to find a way that everyone / anyone can click on a component / shape and view the Shape Data.

All that work for nothing... I want to scream...

Thank you so, so much.

wapperdude

Curious...if you open shapesheet of data graphic, assuming that's what we're dealing with, at the top of the geometry  there is a cell labeled geometry.no show.  There ought to be a formula in the cell which evaluates to true/false.  This ought to be what controls visibility.  But, I'm only guessing.  Had you uploaded a sample Visio file, could have advised with more certainty.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

brandyph

You are correct Yacine.... I tested it and had a member of the Team test it on Visio 2010 Standard.

The only issue is that no one but myself can review the "External Data Window".

The Excel Spreadsheet is a list of each shape "Dependency" and I needed anyone to have the ability to view it.  I needed to provide a list of what is dependent on that particular server, switch, router, etc....

Thank you so, so much for all your help.

Brandy

brandyph

No, thank you Wapperdude. 

Thank you so much...

brandyph

Yacine... you are correct about the Menu... my issue is the colors and the connectors... they are so tiny and can't see them... If you zoom in, the screen blanks out... it drives me crazy...

in 2013, the connectors are blue and very, very tiny...

Again, thank you so, so much for all your help.

Nikolay

Quote from: brandyph on September 12, 2016, 01:46:12 AM
Why buy over 30,000 Visio Pro and we already use SharePoint.... SharePoint will not allow users to view the Shape Data info.

I'm not sure what you mean by "shape data info".
Usage scenario of Share Point Visio Services appears to match your case more or less (allowing others in your organisation to see the shape data, and have "live" update from the source)
You said you already have SharePoint, so what's the problem.. Just save the diagram in a SharePoint library, and ask admin to set up Visio Service (e.g. security to allow data update).

Check out this video for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLz0LLs2ig

brandyph

Thanks Nikolay....

They are clueless... They wouldn't know how to set that up. 

The Shape Data Info is the information that displays in the Shape Data dialog box.  I linked the data with an Excel Spreadsheet Database that I created. 

I can link it to any Database, but that's too much info for them and I would have to set up a training class to teach them.

I already created a Demo to demostrate how they can view the information and how to update the information.

my next dilemma is to create Master Shape Stencils and link them to a Database, so whenever a user select that particular Server, Router, Switch, etc., it will already have their dependencies linked to it.

I just got SDK Tools installed. 

Again, thank you so much...

Nikolay

Actually there's not that much to set up, its not a rocket science :)
It might be even sort of interesting, as well for admins (they are IT people, right?), so you could give it a try :)

Note that you could just use existing Excel files (as soon as stored in the SharePoint as well), that should be fine.

brandyph

Cool... thank you...

I will try.

Again, thanks for all your help.