Viewing Shape Data without Visio Pro

Started by brandyph, September 10, 2016, 07:25:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandyph

What's the purpose of creating Shape Data when it's not visible to all users?

I linked my data from Excel to Visio, and I am the only person on the team that can view the data in Visio.  Apparently, you have to have Visio Pro to review the Shape Data.

Even when I convert the diagram to PDF, the Shape Data does not covert/transfer.

Is there a work around?

Nikolay

Of course.

Option 1. Buy Visio Pro

Option 2. Buy Sharepoint and use Visio Services

You have to spend money to earn money. Microsoft is a commercial company, if you have not noticed :)

Other than that, you can always use free Visio Viewer - it does display shape data.

vojo

isn't this more a statement of turning on developer mode than pro / not pro?

Visio used to allow developer mode for standard visio as well as pro

brandyph

Are you serious?

One says... Buy Pro and the other option is to Turn on Developer Mode.... Why I didn't think of that?...

WOW!

Yacine

Hi brandyph,
the purpose of creating shape data is to get the intelligence (the data) in the shapes. This is the first step.
Showing the data is the second step of Visio's concept.
There are plenty of options to display them. The easiest being data graphics. https://www.google.de/search?newwindow=1&safe=off&site=&source=hp&q=visio+data+graphics
Why the separation? Because it gives you the flexibility to show just what you want and how you want it. You may for example have a drawing for multiples audiences - each requiring different data.
There may be also data used for auxilliary purposes - for example formatting shapes, or grouping and classifying them, etc.

So instead of just putting the data in the shapes, think about displaying them as well.
HTH, Y.

PS: by the way, you don't need Visio Pro to see shape data. Go to the view menu and switch on the shape data window. It's the external data window, that can only be seen in Pro. And this window is not meant for display, but for allocating the data to the shapes. So where's the problem?
Yacine

wapperdude

There is a distinction between shapedata and datagraphics.  Shapedata is information associated with a particular shape...just the information.  It is stored in the shapesheet. Datagraphics is the visual presentation of the data.  Shapedata is universal to all versions of Visio.   Datagraphics, at least the generation of such, is a feature of "Pro".  That is, all of the convenience of generating the datagraphics, is packaged with "pro".  But, it is not restricted  "pro".  You can manually create your own...with some effort.  So, the "Pro" version isn't strictly required, but without it you lose convenience, uniformity, and expedience.

As far as Developer mode is concerned, can't recall if that has to be enabled our not.  It is certainly easy enough to try.  I have V2007Std, and have been able to see and create datagraphics.  I just don't have any files for example at present. 

In addition to the links that have been provided, if you could upload a sample file, perhaps, greater, in-depth help might be provided.  For my case, I would need ".vsd" file version.

Lastly, when you say no-one can see the data, do you just the data, or the data graphic plus data?

Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

brandyph

Yacine, thank you

Unfortunately, it will not allow other users to refresh the data in Standard Visio.  The "Data" tab is not available in Standard.

I can set the auto update / refresh.

I will test it tomorrow.

Again, thank you

brandyph

Wapperdude, I will upload a sample tomorrow.

I created a demo and someone asked how it was done... He shared his screen and the "Data" tab was missing.

Turning on the "Developer" tab did nothing.

Thank you

Nikolay

brandyph

Why buy over 30,000 Visio Pro and we already use SharePoint.... SharePoint will not allow users to view the Shape Data info.

There's no need for Visio Viewer... Everyone already have the Standard.

vojo

ah...you don't want shape data...you want all power of accessing "function" data...yes that has been PRO for along time.

brandyph

There's no "Shape Data" option in Visio Standard 2010

brandyph

You are only to view "Shape Data" information in PRO

brandyph

I checked the Standard version against Pro and I was correct.

Any user should have the ability to click on any component and review the Shape Data information without purchasing Pro. 

Yacine

I told you to watch under the view menu, not developer.
Yacine