inserting (link to / reference) page in a multi-page drawing

Started by karlg, August 31, 2016, 06:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlg

I have a Visio 2013 drawing that is comprised multiple diagrams with each diagram on a separate pages within one Visio file.

I'm trying to figure out how I can create an overview page, where I insert a linked copy of another page, such that when I update the linked page it is updated in the overview page. I need to be able to see the diagram, not just have a hyperlink from a shape.

I can do this if every page is saved as separate file, but I want to work with one master document stencil - so if I update stencil objects, the update will cascade to all drawings.

I've tried insert object and linking to the file itself and this works, but I've not be able to find a way to link to a specific page in the Visio file.

Any help and suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

miless2111s

a clumsy way of doing it would be to paste link into another document and then paste link back out of the second document back into the first.  Both documents need to be saved (doc 1 and then 2) for the change to show up in the summary page of doc 1 but it does work :)

karlg

That is a great idea, didn't think of that one. I'll give it a shot.

Thank you for the suggestion!

karlg

Quote from: miless2111s on September 01, 2016, 09:49:25 AM
a clumsy way of doing it would be to paste link into another document and then paste link back out of the second document back into the first.  Both documents need to be saved (doc 1 and then 2) for the change to show up in the summary page of doc 1 but it does work :)
I must be missing something.

I'll expand...

Visio file "Drawing" has Page-1, Page-2, Page-3
- This file has the original drawings

Visio file "Drawing-Updater" had Overview
- This file is to display the Page-1, Page-2, Page-3 drawings on one page, "Overview"

How do I select which page of "Drawing" that I want displayed?
I'm placing the drawing on "Overview" by
1 - Insert  | Object
2 - "Microsoft Visio Drawing"
3 - "Create from file"
4 - Browse | Select "Drawing"
5 - Check "Link to file"
6 - Click "OK"

I'm not given an option to select with page. I'm also don't see where I select which page after the Visio object has been placed on the page.

Any ideas on where I select which page I want placed?

Thank you!!!

miless2111s

I assumed the following:
1) Doc 1 has many pages (2 onwards) each with a diagram + an overview page (page 1)
2) The overview page will have a copy of either a key diagram from each page or the entire page shrunk down (mentally I'd thought of sites which have many diagrams and use a smaller image of each to represent the larger).
3) Doc 2 is the intermediary file

My method:
1) Select the required diagram from Page 2 and copy
2) Go to Doc 2 and right mouse: Paste Special/Paste link
3) Select the page 2 diagram in Doc 2
4) Go to page 1 in Doc 1 and paste Special/Paste link
5) Resize as required
6) Save Doc 1
7) Save Doc 2
Check it worked and repeat as required.

Does this work for you?

karlg

Hi miless2111s and thank you for your follow up - please excuse my delayed response - I just got back to the project.

Using Visio 2016, I'm not able to to a paste link as you instruct. It is greyed out for me - which seems strange.

I've tried the different options in the paste special dialog, but I'm not finding one where I can past the link - very strange. Any ideas?

Thank you!

miless2111s

try grouping the drawing that you're linking from.  I found the same issue as you in 2016 but then when I grouped the drawing items together and copied them I had paste special/paste link as an option
Hope that helps
Miles

karlg

thanks for the fast reply.

I did group the objects, but I'm still getting an enabled "Paste Link".

I'll have to play with it a little more and see what the results are. I'm not sure if it could be that the file(s) are on a SharePoint and not local. I'll try it with some local sample files and see if that fixes the paste link issue.

Thank you very much!

miless2111s

Oh, that's an important bit - about the sharepoint.... I know that MS Project doesn't play well with Sharepoint as when you link files Project needs to open the other files in RAM and it can't do that with them held in sharepoint.  It is possible that it will not work unless maybe the intermediate file is on a normal drive (server or local hard drive)??

karlg

Thank you for support my suspicions. I was thinking that might be a contributing factor. I too have had issue with other office apps and SharePoint functionality.

thank you!