Visio professional 2016 print issue

Started by dbrackett0319, August 29, 2016, 01:06:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbrackett0319

Good morning,

I am new to this forum and so far I really like the posts here. So, thank you for the posts I appreciate the information.

Now I am having an issue with Visio 2016 and I really think it is user error, but then again maybe not? I have created a drawing that will be printed out in an 11" X 17" standard format for my group. When I print my drawing out the actual picture prints to the top left of the page and does not print the way it is formatted? When I convert the drawing to a PDF it also converts to the top left corner of the page and will not maintain the size that is created with Visio? I am not new to Visio, but I am finding many different bugs with MicroSoft 2016 office compared to 2013 and earlier versions, and Visio is almost driving me mad? I would attach the different drawings, but I cannot attach these particular drawings due to their sensitive information, sorry for that.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

jfvert

HI, i got the very same problem. The only way i found to bypass this issue is to take another screenshot and then paste it back in my drawing. If anyone has a better idea it would be appreciate.

Thanks

RudySchneider

So, let's be clear.  Are you saying that your Print Setup is something like this?
There are no problems, only opportunities

wapperdude

We'll, I don't  have V2016, but am curious about a few things...

Relative to the 11x 17, how big is  picture, and where is it located?  I assume that the page size matches the printer sheet size and there's no scaling going on.  Does print preview show a problem?

If you place an unfilled rectangle on the page, say 1/2" inside the page borders, such that rect is 10 x 16, do both it and picture print properly?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

dbrackett0319

So my print set up has been adjusted to various settings to try to compensate for the "incredible shrinking drawing". The drawing size matches the paper size, the print preview/presentation mode rather (2016) is correct. alignments all seem correct, but when you convert to a pdf ( using Acrobat Pro DC), print to pdf or print to the printer the dang drawing shrinks to the top left corner of the page? Appears to be like a 4" X 6" index card, craziest thing ever and so far micrsoft has no answer, or patch rather or they haven't released the patch yet?

aledlund

Just curious why you would believe that a problem with an Adobe product would be an issue that ms would want to chase. In the end a pdf creator is nothing more than a fancy print driver with all of the exposures that brings to the party.
al edlund

RudySchneider

I'm curious, as well...

Why are you using Acrobat Pro DC to "convert" your drawing?  You realize that you can save your drawing directly to a PDF file from within Visio 2016 itself, right?
There are no problems, only opportunities

wapperdude

is there something you can upload...without company sensitive info?  Perhaps a test file?  Maybe someone with V2016 can spot something.  This behavior seems unusual, even for V2016.

Let me recap, to make sure the problem is understood.

1)  The sizing issue occurs for ALL of the following cases:
            A.  Normal print to a hardcopy
            B.  Visio converting to PDF
            C.  Acrobat Pro DC conversion

2)  The sizing affects everything on the page
            A.  Normal Visio shapes
            B.  Imported pictures

3)  Is it just this file or all files

4)  is this a standard Visio installation your pc?  What operating system?  32 or 64 bit.  Other office products?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

jfvert

Here are your anwsers

1)  The sizing issue occurs for ALL of the following cases: (Not all but for about 10% of the cases)
            A.  Normal print to a hardcopy yes
            B.  Visio converting to PDF no problem with the picture but the line size are different than expected
            C.  Acrobat Pro DC conversion never used that?

2)  The sizing affects everything on the page
            A.  Normal Visio shapes NO
            B.  Imported pictures YES

3)  Is it just this file or all files  some files(not all but about 10%)

4)  is this a standard Visio installation your pc?  What operating system?  32 or 64 bit.  Other office products? i got visio 2016 pro 32bit

thanks to Wapperdude

-jfvert

wapperdude

Thanks jfvert!  Hopefully this will help other V2016 users.  Maybe inspire some work-arounds and / or solutions.

My experience with V2007, on a much lower occurrence rate, I'd say less than 1%, but within the same document, most pages convert to PDF just fine, except for 1 or 2 pages which drop content...lines, pix, grouped shapes.  Capturing a screenshot of the page, pasting it onto the page as a picture, solves the conversion process.  Doesn't help with future editing, though.  Don't recall if normal Visio printing had any issue.

This forum has many entries lamenting the woes of PDF conversion.  I think Vojo has had the most successful experience with doing this.  He uses something like pdf999, I probably have the name wrong.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro