visio shapes rotation issue

Started by abdorefky, August 19, 2016, 12:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abdorefky

Hi and thanks for reading .

whenever i try to rotate a shape I find that the shape control square is not rotating as well .. even when i try to move it i find shape flips .

it's all inside that video

https://youtu.be/-9tUF-cxyvc

RudySchneider

AHA!  You've discovered that you can rotate a shape with respect to it's bounding box.  Excellent!  However, what you're after is rotating the whole works, right?  There are a couple ways to do this.  First, by making sure the editing "handles" show up, so you can manipulate the size and rotation of the object.  To do this, you click on the Text Block Tool, as shown in the attached JPEG.  Then, you can click-and-drag on the rotation handle.

Alternately, you can select your object, then click on the "Angle" information in the bottom-left of your screen.  A dialog box should pop up, where you can enter the desired rotation angle.
There are no problems, only opportunities

wapperdude

Which version of Visio? 

I've never seen that behavior before, but, I stopped updating with V2007.  Your video suggests that you have V2010 or newer.

Rotating the textbox, does, well, just that.  Rotates the textbox.  Don't think that's what you want. "Lines" or 1D shapes, were not intended to be rotated...at least not thru V2007.  But, if that's what you want/need to do, select the line, right click > format > behavior.  Change from 1-D to 2-D.  Now you'll see the handles and the selection box.  You can rotate / resize as an ordinary 2D shape.  Once positioned, you may want to return to 1D behavior.  Note, it is possible, using the selection point to merely grab and drag the 1D line shape, just no rotation.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RudySchneider

Wapperdude ---
I understand your concern, but I wouldn't have given the answer if I hadn't tried it first, with my version of Visio 2013.  Using the format tool as the OP indicated, I get the same behavior.

OOPS!  Ya know, you're right!

But in my version of 2013, I can't simply right-click to set behavior; I can only do that under the Developer tab.  Changing to 2D, as you mentioned, causes the handles to appear.

Sorry for jumpin' the gun...

wapperdude

That's OK,  I forgot to mention the Developer tab.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RudySchneider

BTW, once you release the line shape, and then select it again, you CAN drag the end points around to rotate it.  Unfortunately, this also can alter the overall dimensions of the shape, but for many drawings that may be a minor issue.