getting a line to change angle based on linked excel shape data value

Started by Bendon, August 10, 2016, 03:38:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bendon

Hi all,
I'm trying to build a dashboard with speedodemeters like a car dashboard.
The dashboard is static. Only the line changes angle.
I have a linked excel spreadsheet with a cell that has the angle in it. eg. 10, or 45 or whatever.
In the Shape Data I have Prop._VisDM_Angle and a value from excel.
But in the Shape Transform Angle it has ATAN2 or ATAN or whatever. No matter what I choose the line in Visio goes off somewhere else and not just change angle. I have tried inserting Prop._VisDM_Angle and altering various formulas but can't tame this line.
I want one point of the line to be pinned to the base and the other swings around depending on the excel value.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

FlowerGirl

I was given an Excel version of this from an older employee.
It looks like it does what you want, but it is in Excel.
I am sure some of the wizards from this site can wiz-bang it over into a Visio tool.

FlowerGirl

Yacine

You're problem is, that you have the line as 1D-Shape, which is defined by it begin and end points. The angle is a function of them.
Changing the shape to 2D "liberates" this value. It becomes a variable, that you can modify.

Set the line to be a 2D-Shape
Set the origin (pinX and PinY) on the desired rotation axis.
Set the angle to be Prop._VisDM
Yacine

wapperdude

You might find this post by JuneTheSecond of interest:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=6961.0.  Make sure to get the last entry.

The angle is input via shapedata, but, there is no restriction placed upon line length.  That is, you may stretch/shrink the line by grabbing the endpoint, yet, the angle will remain constant.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Nikolay

Visio provides stock "speedometer" indicator for dashboards, maybe you could simply use it,
if you don't want to mess around with shapesheet and formulas?

Data -> Edit Data Graphics -> Type = "Data Bar" ->Style = "Speedometer"

Bendon

Hey thanks all.
I'll give all suggestions a go and give some feedback for others.