Smart Shape: 3x5 (or whatever) cards with index tabs

Started by wapperdude, August 05, 2016, 12:58:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wapperdude

Another topic that spun off a submitted post.  This goes beyond the original request, and mutated several times to reach this configuration.

The first card is the reference card, in that the 2nd and additional cards are "slaved" to it with respect to position.  But, the cards are not grouped to each other.  So, say you have 20 cards and you want to replicate the collection, you have to select all, then, copy and paste.

Did I say 20 cards?  Well, within the limits of Visio (and common sense), the number of cards is, essentially, unlimited.  Just select a non-first card, duplicate or copy/paste, make some choices in the pop-up menu, and hit OK.

The size, color, font, aspect ratio of each card is independent of each other.  The card aspect ratio will slave the height to whatever the width is set to.  Manual over-ride of either dimension is just a matter of shrinking/stretching.  The shape will not allow sizing smaller than needed to display the text.  To return to the entered settings, just open the shapedata window and enter a value again to retrigger the sizing process.  Setting the card height/width ratio to zero eliminates height dependence on the width.

There is a control point to move the tabs. 

Because double click behavior is used to pop a card to the top of the stack, the group setting is set for group only.  The tab caption can be entered independently thru the shapedata window.  Tab and card fonts/colors/size are identical.

The right click context menu has high contrast text option, a feature developed by VisioGuy.

There's probably some issue I haven't caught, but, have tried to make this "bug-free".  At least, I don't charge for the bugs, so, any bug is free.   :o   ::)  Everything is done in the shapesheet.  Each card is a grouped shape.  Top shape, is the group, and has the card text.  2nd shape is the card background color and tab text.

Enjoy!

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

Yacine

Yacine

paullox

Hey Wapper!

So nice to see you continuing to hammer away at this complex shape.  I am learning a lot about shape sheet AND this shape is immediately useful.

I am trying to add 'data graphics' and right away running into a formatting problem:  I can not get the data graphic to appear over the shape - that is within the boundaries of the shape - it is either to the extreme left or right of the shape (or vertically above/below the shape) regardless of the position setting chosen.  :-\

Regards,

Paul

vojo

By the way, you could use the DoCMDs to select a tab and bring to the front.
Need some shapesheet work but could
- do some shapesheet work (create actions cells
- add the DoCMD for "bring to front"  or "push to back
- group all the index cards

1:  Select tab
2:  right click ==> pull to front or push to back

It let you use this deck of index cards as you would in real life

wapperdude

@Vojo:  uses docmd(1046) in dblclick event.  Each card has this entry.  Dbl click any tab brings that card to the front.  Tabs stick above shape selection box so clicking tab is a unique location...assuming that tabs don't overlap.  Grouping all cards has issues.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

@Paullox:  could you upload example with data graphic?  Perhaps under your original post?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

paullox

Here it is - if you play with the data graphic position settings you will see the behavior described.

Thanks!

wapperdude

I rarely use datagraphics...never had the need.  But, hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong, the initial development placed the datagraphic outside the shape.  The PinX, PinY, and Width cells have complex formulae.  On a per datagraphic basis, it should be possible to overwrite these values to meet your needs.  It looks like with V2016, the datagraphic is designed to be repositioned.

For example, prior to grouping, open datagraphic shapesheet, click inside the shapesheet and then choose show values in the pop-up.  Edit the PinX cell by typing in a close or identical value.  This will overwrite the formula.  Now position the datagraphic where desired.  You can muck with the width too, if you like.  There is a risk that the underlying automation may re-write the formulas.  Now, select the tab to which you want to add the datagraphic, then, select the datagraphic, and do add to group.  See attached.

If you want to subsequently reposition the datagraphic, after grouping, select the tab, right click> format > behavior and select Group First.  Now, if you click on datagraphic, it ought to select, and you can drag it about.  Once happy with location, I recommend setting behavior back to Group only.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

don't use double click....use rt click ==> actions....this also allow user to sort manually

wapperdude

Since this, among other things, is a learning experience, here's updated file that uses the right click option that Vojo mentions.  That allows the double click option to use DOCMD(1312), which will pop-up the shape data entry menu.  Also, I kept the behavior at Group First rather than Group Only.  This makes the access to "embedded" pictures easier.

So, to pop a card to the top, right click a tab, then click on the menu entry Bring to Front.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro