Diagram drill down

Started by RBeatse, July 21, 2016, 01:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RBeatse

I create a lot of designs for work and we use layers a lot and export them as Adobe PDFs.  This works well to get a good amount of data in a format that is easily accessible.

I am wondering if there is a way (export format, application, etc.) that can be used to create a high level diagram that can be clicked on to get an increased level of detail and then be able to drill down even deeper, etc.  So, for example, you would see a network diagram, then click on a section and be brought to just a section that let you see the servers there, then click a server and see the details of that server. Now a click of the database section and you drill down to the data formats.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

wapperdude

My immediate reaction is to use links.  For example, your server shape would have a link to another page which had the desired detail .  Then objects on that page could link to bother pages with more detail.  Each new page could have links (multiple) to go back to previous, back to "sub_topic main page", or back to top level diagram.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

RBeatse

Thanks.  Links is not something I have used before.  Is there anything I should know about them before I begin or a good tutorial?  I am sure i can find something online or on YouTube but want to be sure if there is a particular process I should know.  Do these links work in PDF also?

Thanks again!

wapperdude

Nothing special to know.  Believe Visio help is adequate.  Guess these are hyperlinks.  Seems like there's stuff on the forum.  A single shape may have multiple links.  Haven't tried YouTube.  Not sure about pet.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro