Right Angle Connector become a diagonal connector when grouped

Started by FFC, July 07, 2016, 01:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC

I need to create a group with a connector inside. Even if the connector is a right angle connector, if the two connected shapes are aligned so the connector is a straight line, there is a problem when i group them. The problem is that even if "right angle connector" is still checked, if i move one of the shapes, the connector behave like a diagonal one.

I can just click again in "right angle connector" (even if it is already checked) and the problem goes away.

But the thing is, it is a group that i will use a lot and when i ungroup it, i don't want to have to do this with all the connectors of the group every time.

I noted that when i group the connector, the geometry section in the shape sheet change, but all the other sections remain the same.

I hope I used the right terms because my visio is in french.
Thanks

This is the content before being grouped

Before grouping, this happen when i move a shape

But if I group the content of the first image and ungroup it, that happen

Yacine

Yacine

FFC

Yacine

Yacine

jfvert

Yacine

Yacine

RudySchneider

Interesting, Yacine.  I see the three images jfvert has in his original post.  And even more interesting, since I cannot replicate the problem.  Everything works fine for me, with Visio 2013.
There are no problems, only opportunities

jfvert

Hey Yacine tu parle Francais ? Et nous parlons des images qui sont dans la question posé par FFC en haut.

RudySchneider

I can't imagine this would be YOUR problem, Yacine, but the images jfvert posted are PNG format.  Here are all three combined into a single JPEG:

There are no problems, only opportunities

Yacine

Now on another computer I see the images in the original post. Thanks nevertheless Rudy.

I tried the following. Draw 2 rectangles and connected them by a connector, set to right angle. Grouped the 3 shapes, then changed the RouteStyle of the PAGE to straight (=2).
After ungrouping the connector behaved as straight line, despite it was still set to right angle.
May be this could be a thing to check? (Settings of the page: shapesheet of page, section "page layout")
Yacine

wapperdude

In V2007, the behavior is such: 
1.  doesn't matter if grouped or not.  If two shapes are offset, and page is set to default routing, right angle.  Then, a connector drawn between them will have a right angle bend.  Now, switch the page routing to straight, and the connectors will become straight.  Switch back to right angle, they return to right angle.

2.  with page routing still at right angle, draw the offset shapes and connector as before, grouped or ungrouped doesn't matter.  Now, select the connector, set it to straight connector (becomes straight as expected), and then back to right angle (back to right angle as expected.)  Next, change the page setting to straight.  The connectors remain right angle.  Apparently, manually setting the connector takes precedence over the page setting, whether or not it was done before or after the page routing mode was set.

HTH.
Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

FFC

Quote from: Yacine on July 09, 2016, 09:12:39 AM
Now on another computer I see the images in the original post. Thanks nevertheless Rudy.

I tried the following. Draw 2 rectangles and connected them by a connector, set to right angle. Grouped the 3 shapes, then changed the RouteStyle of the PAGE to straight (=2).
After ungrouping the connector behaved as straight line, despite it was still set to right angle.
May be this could be a thing to check? (Settings of the page: shapesheet of page, section "page layout")

It does not look like it is something to check. It looks more like a visio issue. When you group the connector, nothing change in its shape sheet except the geometry. Visio see a straight line so it changes the geometry to only one line and after this manipulation, the connector behave like a straight line even if it is set as a right angle one. Maybe because the fact that the geometry is composed of only one straight line visio can't make a right angle connector because it needs two lines to make the geometry.

FFC

I just made some test and it does not happen with every shapes and connector.
Does somebody know in witch cases it happen?

wapperdude

Did you try the test  I mentioned?  S/B the same behavior in V2013.  If you  check the connector routing property, those are not always an indication of actual behavior, e.g., the first test cases where only the page routing is changed which can cause a straight connector even though the actual connector property still shows right angle.  Bottom line, no way to predict.

Since right angle is the more common routing, make sure the page is set to right angle.  That ought to prevent straight connectors happening unless they are specifically set for straight routing.

Did not try the case  a connector was set to straight, connected to off set shapes, grouped, and  group routing was set to right angle.  That might be interesting to look at.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

FFC

Hi wapperdude
My page is set to right angle, so is my connector, but that does not fix the problem