Where is Shape Area & Perimeter in 2013?

Started by MarkA, June 20, 2016, 01:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkA

Noob here, and by no means a power user, but...

One tool that I really used quite a bit on 2003 and 2007 was shape area and perimeter.  I can't figure out how to turn that on in 2013 to save my life.  I seem to remember having to select it from add-ins, but when I go to File > Options > Add-Ins > Manage COM Add-Ins, I get nothing listed. 

Running Visio Professional 2013 now.  There was some other learning curve stuff with this upgrade that I've figured out, but this is making me feel really dumb.  What am I missing? 

Thanks in advance,
Mark

wapperdude

Google search yields:
Note: The Shape Area and Perimeter dialog box is available only in Microsoft Office Visio Professional.

1.Select the shape in your drawing
2.On the Tools menu, click Add-Ons, click Visio Extras, and then click Shape Area and Perimeter.  The Shape Area and Perimeter dialog box opens and displays the measurements of the shape.

3.To see the measurements in different units, select the units that you want in either the Total area box or the Total perimeter box.

HTH
Wapperdude

Visio 2019 Pro

MarkA

I googled it too (before joining here); those instructions aren't applicable in 2013 professional, unless there's some way to get a more fancy tools dialogue box. Anyone here with real experience?

wapperdude

Sorry, my bad.  Those instructions applied to V2007.  Must pay more attention to my googles.  Guess they fogged over and I couldn't see.

Interestingly, there's nothing that shows up for V2013 on this subject.  The forum has a reference to V2010, the launch of the ribbon, look here:  http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=1490.0

The instructions are close to what was given before, but not exactly the same.  Maybe it will help.  I only have V2007, so I can't be of much help.

Did you try to doing a shape search within Visio?

wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

MarkA

Well, the best I can tell is that this feature no longer exists in 2013. That's really frustrating.  I guess I'll need to get with IT here and see if they still have a license for older versions. 

Thanks for the input Wapper,
-Mark

wapperdude

There's still hope that someone on the  who has V2013 will reply.

If I'm not mistaken, it was on the Walls, Windows, doors stencil ... or something like that.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

MarkA

SOLVED. 

So, most if not all of our software is managed by our IT department.  Best guess:  my first installation of 2013 was broken somehow.  Today, we uninstalled 2013 and installed 2010.  Boom.. there's the tool.  The problem now is that all of my 2013 *.vsdx files are no longer compatible.  OK.. so I go to install the compatibility pack from Microsoft.  It tells me that my version of 2010 needs to be the latest version.  I can't check for updates because updates are managed by IT.  Ta Da!!    :P  Back to IT. 

For gits and shigs, he installed 2013 on his machine.  Guess what?  He has Shape area & Perimeter.  You're kidding, right?  So we remote into my machine, uninstall 2010, re-install 2013, and guess what's there now?  Yea.  Insane levels of frustration over this.

But I'm better now.  ;D  Thanks for listening,
~Mark

wapperdude

Great!

Glad everything worked out.  Must confess that I'm disappointed that none of the "modern" users chimed in.  Had that happened should have been able to push down to an install issue.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro