M$ crap and Visio crap -this never happened to me before

Started by PF4VisioGuy, June 16, 2016, 12:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PF4VisioGuy

What would be the advantages of this RCS software over a Backup software that keeps previous versions of the same file (if configured to do so?)
For a single user I don;t really see the point to have an RCS

wapperdude

I think RCS has value in multi-user environment...keeping users up- to-date, controlling who can make revisions, documenting revisions.

Generally, backup doesn't provide the same level of control and structure.  Probably depends on the software.

If you're making a lot of drawings, selling product which requires some sort of revision tracking, then, you need some software support.  If this is limited usage, personal stuff, then developing good backup habits ought to suffice.  But, backup software may give an additional level  security.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

AndyW

I use subversion, running a Visual SVN server (free).

Even as a single developer, version control can be useful especially if you have multiple build environments.
Live life with an open mind

PF4VisioGuy

I am just a regular guy who uses Visio to keep some info in good order
What I am doing is closer to DTP than toVisio but the VBA side of Visio allows me to resize and format some text boxes as I wish
I also have diagrams included in these (it is like Command Line text and network diagrams)  so Visio seems a good solution

I am not selling these so all I need is backup. A CVS is an overkill