Import Excel data with dimensions to create shape templates

Started by tobee01, June 15, 2016, 05:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobee01

Hello. I want to create shapes with scaled dimensions based on product data I have in Excel. My data contains Height, Width and Depth measurements for each product.

Can you please refer me to a previous post with instructions or provide some guidance? I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Thanks!

Surrogate

IMHO: Visio from box, cant do this. But VBA-code probably can help

Yacine

Just make the size of your shape (eg width, height, ...) dependent on shape data. eg width = prop.width ,...
Then link your data to an external database (excel, or other)
Yacine

tobee01

Yacine, I appreciate the suggestions but I'm a novice on Visio and not sure where to start. I know how to import my Excel data into Visio (Link Data to Shapes), but I cannot make anything come from that.

I appreciate any further direction you can provide. My Excel sheet has hundreds of products with length and width dimensions and I simply want to create a library with the scaled shapes in Visio so my team can create floorplans.

Thank you!

wapperdude

Why not just show a table with the 3 dimensions?  Representing 3D object in 2D medium, means the 3rd dimension is not literal.  So, height & width may be scaled, but, depth will not be.  Depends upon the angle of rotation.  True, for a fixed angular rotation, everything can be made properly proportioned.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro