Multi Color Stencil (or Data Graphic) ??

Started by FlowerGirl, June 15, 2016, 01:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlowerGirl

Hi, I am having an issue with trying to get a standard "Block Interval" to go to a multi color option.
What I have is a 2010 Visio timeline drawing linked to Excel data.
I have a data element for Start Status and a data element for complete status.
I can have a start status of "G" for Green and a complete status of "Y" or "R" for Yellow or Red.
Is there a way to have the stencil react to that data element and change colors automatically.
I tried this with Data Graphics, it works well for single color items, but I could not get a 2 color scenario.

I have attached a basic layout of what I need to achieve.

Thanks for any help you can offer.  FG

FlowerGirl

wapperdude

If a read this correctly, you can successfully use data graphics to control single color, but  two?

Couple things come to mind.  1) Are the colors in the two color scenario fixed combinations, or  2) can they be any combination?  If (1 ), then a single data  entry and some shapesheet logic can set your color fills, e.g., green fades into yellow or yellow fades into red.  But, if case (2), then you need two data entries, one for each color.

In Visio, set the shape fill pattern as desired.  Then, use the data graphics to set the fill and pattern colors in the shapesheet.  That's how I would do it in V2007.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

FlowerGirl

Thanks for the reply.

I am using a Block interval on a timeline linked to external excel data. (Visio 2010)
I use data graphics to display the status of the start date and likewise the status of the complete date.
But in data graphics, I can only apply the single color "Color by Value" to the milestone shape itself and not to any data graphics text callouts.
The data graphics color selection does not have the 2 color or fade as you would see in just basic shapes.
I was trying to apply some "If" vba code to the text callouts themselves to say (If you have a value of "G", then format background color to Green) and so on.

Thanks FG.

FlowerGirl

wapperdude

My problem is that I only have V2007, std, i.e., no actual datagraphics.  So I can't be of very much help.

Perhaps if you upload a small portion of what you're trying to do as vsd, perhaps I or someone else can look at it.

wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro