I can't move shapes up and to the left

Started by jfvert, June 14, 2016, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfvert

Hi, I am now working with visio for more than a month and I recently discovered an annoying problem. Sometime (I don't know why and when) I can't move my shapes up and to the left with my keyboard. I can move down and to the right with the keyboard. At first i thought it was a keyboard problem, but there is a noise that makes "TING" every time I click on the up and left arrows. After that I thought it was a computer problem so I send my work to a more efficient PC and  the exact same thing happened.

Is there anyway someone can help me?

Thank you very much

Jfvert 

FFC

That usually happen when your shape si out of the page dimension so it's like visio don't want your shape to go away from the page.

Bring back your shape in the page or change the dimensions of the page.

Hey Ken

Hi, jfvert.  I've been using Visio since 2003 and I have also run into the same situation on infrequent occasion, most recently yesterday afternoon with Visio 2013.  No idea what causes it, nor how to prevent it.  Whenever it happens, I'm forced to revert to using the mouse to drag it up and left.  Annoying indeed; I actually have to lift my hand off the keyboard and grab the mouse!  Not the best workaround for someone who's virtuous about saving keystrokes.  Is your problem consistent?  If so, can you post an example?

Hi, FFC.  I suspected the same cause, but it's the occasionalness of the problem (not every month) that makes me suspect it's some sort of bug.  Can't reproduce it when it doesn't happen; can't fix it when it does.  I'll keep an eye out and look for it to happen again, then see what can be done.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author
No Dogs on Mars - A Starship Story
http://astarshipstory.com

wapperdude

@Hey Ken:  isn't it easier to drag a mouse around than the keyboard?    :o.   LOL.  ;D
Visio 2019 Pro

Hey Ken

Folks:

Just a quick update on an old problem.  Still happens on infrequent occasion (Visio 2002, 2003 and 2013), still no idea why.  And I have hacked at it when it occurs.  So much for my hacking skills.  For whatever reason, it's only up and left.  Go figure.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author

wapperdude

Ummm, more info???

Is there an example to upload?

When the problem occurs, does it persist?  Are you ...

> moving all shapes, multiple shapes, just one?
> Are you moving outside the viewing window?
> Outside page boundary?
> Have you tried closing/opening the document?
> re-starting Visio?

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

wapperdude

.... so far, not able to replicate the problem in V2007.  But, not surprising since it's such a random event.

Tried various zoom levels.  Selecting all shapes.  Selecting all shapes and grouping.   Placing shapes in the path of the moving shapes.  Going outside view window.  Going off drawing page. 

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

Used Visio for 20 years (2003 and 2013)

Only time I see that behavior is if the shape is way outside the page boundary
(way outside left, locks left movement...top top movement...right right movement, etc)

wapperdude

@Vojo:  using V2007, can confirm your observations. 

Must admit, I never tried moving shapes that far off page.  Did an experiment and placed a "wayward" shape to the very far upper left region off page, and another shape on page.  Did a select all.  The immoveable shape phenomena now prevents the page selected shape from moving to either left or upward using the arrow keys.  But, using the mouse, not a problem and can still drag shapes around.

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro

vojo

so

with cursor....locking kicks in roughly a page width beyond page

with mouse...can go reasonably forever (>3 page widths in 2013)

I typically use cursor because the mouse with dragging updates is
a real life example of quantum computing (is it here?...is it there?...where is it?  ;-)  ).

Not saying its his exact problem...only saying the only time I have seen it is
when way outside the page.

jfvert

Thanks vojo,

I also figured it out couple months ago xD

Hey Ken

Wapperdude:

Some answers...

> Is there an example to upload?  No.  The problem is very transient.
> When the problem occurs, does it persist?   I couldn't really say if it persists, because I just resort to using the mouse, then move on.
> Are you moving all shapes, multiple shapes, just one?   Many shapes.
> Are you moving outside the viewing window?   No.
> Outside page boundary?   No.
> Have you tried closing/opening the document?   That always ultimately happens, but since the problem is so transient, it'll go away even without taking that action.
> re-starting Visio?   Ditto.

Tell you what: I'll use this as a checklist the next time it happens and I'll give a much more detailed report.

- Ken

Ken V. Krawchuk
Author

wapperdude

Hopefully, won't hear from you soon....regarding this issue!!   ;D

Wapperdude
Visio 2019 Pro